hlt
Logi Nu
hlt

Windows 7 installation hang - solved!

[ Edited ]

Installing Harmony software v7.7.0 on Windows 7 64 bit

I have tried for hours to install the Harmony Software on my Windows 7 64-bit system.

The installer started... and hung.

Versions tried: 7.6.0 (CD) and 7.7.0 (web)

Searching this forum just showed a lot of other users with the same problem.

Here is what solved the problem for me:

I had changed the location of the TEMP-folder via the respective environment-settings (TMP-folder, too).

I reset the TEMP-folder to point to it´s original location: C:\Windows\Temp

Now the installer works just fine.

Hope this helps!

Greetings!

lth

P.S.:

A word to Logitech:

I really can´t believe you guys fell for such a mistake:

Hard-coding the path to C:\Windows\Temp instead of querying the temp-variable is *very* bad style and a real pita for a lot of your customers.

-> *Please* change that!

Logi Nu
MT.nl

Re: Windows 7 installation hang - solved!

[ Edited ]

I can confirm that this issue still exists (as there is still no update available) and following the above instructions worked for me too...

@ hlt: big tnx!

Logi Visitor
Random54

hlt wrote:

A word to Logitech:

I really can´t believe you guys fell for such a mistake:

Hard-coding the path to C:\Windows\Temp instead of querying the temp-variable is *very* bad style and a real pita for a lot of your customers.

-> *Please* change that!

+1

Logi Nu
alcaron

Seriously guys, I package software for a living and you know what we do with software installers SO poorly written as to contain such stupid problems as this?

We stop buying their software.

This fix, obviously, worked for me to and I am STAGGERED that not only is that the problem but well over six months later you can't support your products and customers well enough to issue what I PRAY TO GOD is considered a simple fix.

I literally fixed it myself, want me to zip up the fixed installer and send it to you?

Signed,

SEVERELY ANNOYED.

Logi Nu
creasman00

Gentlemen...

Thank you so much for posting the solution to this silly problem..  I was about to pull out what little hair I have trying to update my remote.

However, my problem is this... I understand the concept of what you are suggesting, however, I do not know how to implement the solution.

Perhaps you could help with some specifics.

I have the same configuration, with Win7 - 64bit.

Thanks,

Ken C.

hlt
Logi Nu
hlt

1.) open an Explorer

2.) rightclick "Computer"

3.) choose "Properties" from context menu

4.) click "Advanced System Settings" in the left panel

5.) choose the tab "Advanced" within the "System Properties" window

6.) click the "Environment Variables" button

In the now open dialogue "Environemt Variables" you can add / change / delete the values for environ-variables for both the current user and the system.

The relevant entries are "TEMP" and "TMP".

If you´re still stuck try googling for "Environemt variables" and "windows 7" - you should find several piczured guides as well :-)

regards!

lth

Logi Nu
DeanGibson

[ Edited ]

alcaron wrote:

Seriously guys, I package software for a living and you know what we do with software installers SO poorly written as to contain such stupid problems as this?

We stop buying their software.

This fix, obviously, worked for me to and I am STAGGERED that not only is that the problem but well over six months later you can't support your products and customers well enough to issue what I PRAY TO GOD is considered a simple fix.

I literally fixed it myself, want me to zip up the fixed installer and send it to you?

Signed,

SEVERELY ANNOYED.

How about a year later ?!?!?!

I struggled with the above problem for several hours, vowing to return the remote tomorrow if I didn't find a fix, and then I found this thread (on Google, no help from Logitech's FAQs).

Strike one (above) was committed by a Logitech software "hacker" employed as a "programmer".

Strike two was Logitech  (a company that's been in the software business for a couple decades) not fixing it after a year (a reflection on management philosophy).

OK, having got past this, I was on edge, with the Harmony One having two strikes against it for the above.

Strike three was:

• This is virtually the only software program I've installed that doesn't let me set the installation folder.
  • When it claimed to support the Sharp Aquos LC-C5277UN TV, but didn't know that it had nine inputs, or the correct names of the buttons on the (simple) remote.
  • When it didn't recognize that the Sony BDP-CX960 and BDP-CX7000ES have a user-selectable command set (so that one can have multiple instances of the same device in their home theater, each responding to different codes).

I'm uninstalling the software without completing setup of the remote, and returning the H-1 to Best Buy tomorrow.  I would have given it a chance, if it weren't for the issue in this thread.

Signed, Dean (retired embedded software developer, after 40 years).

ps: I understand the Acoustic Research remote is more capable, but not as easy to set up.  At its current price, it's something I'll consider ...

Logi Nu
colmas

Hi All

I have tried what was suggested here for the TMP locations, and it made no difference to my situation.  That stupid spinning wheel hand at 100% and progresses no further.  What is annoying, is that it worked fine 2 weeks ago.  What has changed?\

Cheers

Logi Nu
MrPuddington

I just ran into this problem.  I cannot believe that you make such a beginners mistake, and not fix it for a year (never?).

There are more problems with the software, for example it is missing a back button at crucial points.  

Logi Nu
heavyness

Same here.  Changine the TEMP locations doesn't fix anything.  Installer just hangs.