Logi Nu
gregoryspeights

2.1 Channel Sound?!! Where's 5.1 and 7.1?

Hello

I just hooked up my Logitech Revue just like it says in the instructions, all HDMI, and things have been cool....EXCEPT...I have a 5.1 surround sound Denon AVR-790 Receiver...but I can ONLY hear 2.1 channel sound when my DirecTV goes through the Logitech Revue.  The Revue seeminly puts out multi-channel sound as that's what my Denon says...but I can only hear 2.1 channels.  No, there's nothing wrong with my Denon as it was working perfectly before i hooked up the Revue and all of my other sources (xbox, blueray, etc.) still give me surround sound.

SO...the question is...what's the fix for this?  I went to the sound settings on the Revue, but there doesn't seem to be a place to indicate if you want 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 sound.  Is there such a menu?  How can we fix this?

Greg

Logi Browser
richsolnuv

Re: 2.1 Channel Sound?!! Where's 5.1 and 7.1?

Strange!  I have a Sony Sound bar hooked up the same way you have yours hooked up and I get 5.1 and 7.1 from my DirecTV Receiver to my Revue with no problem.  It should be working for you.

Logi Apprentice
steveko

Known issue they need to fix. In the interim you could connect your Revue to the AVR using a digital audio cable, and connect your Revue to your HDTV via HDMI (for Video). I'm setup that way and get DD 5.1 sound now.

Logi Browser
jbail33

Are you getting 5.1 out of apps like Netflix and Pandora with this set up? I do not. I only get surround sound from my cable box.

Logi Apprentice
steveko

Well my AVR reads out Dolby DIGITAL with this setup, even with Netflix and Pandora. But I'm not entirely sure if I'm getting true DD 5.1 sound output with Netflix, or if its cause the advanced audio setting capabilities of my Pioneer AVR are giving me a false impression that it's 5.1.

Logi Browser
wangmaster

[ Edited ]

I just posted a response to this thread that I believe is relevant to what you are seeing.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Surround-Sound-missing/m-p/550342#M4623

In short, if you use HDMI, your receiver will think you're getting a 5.1/7.1 (multichannel) PCM stream even though the actual audio is only mapped to channels that the input signal contains.

If you use optical and select DD5.1 output on the Revue settings, you're getting the same effect.  It maps input channels to output channels.  If the input is only stereo, then only the LR channels are mapped and contain audio.  Surround/Center channel is empty.  So is your subwoofer likely as the stereo input doesn't have a LFE channel, however your setup may still output to the subwoofer depending on your crossover configuration.

If you use optical and select PCM, you get stereo PCM (aka 2 channel stereo).  The benefit of this is at least you can use dolby pro-logic or your AVRs DSP processing to get effects, but you lose all the DD5.1 sound if your input signal is DD5.1 enabled.

Huge deficiency of Google TV.

Logi Visitor
BigFeat

I had to go the Optical SPDIF cable route just to get all my audio channels to open up on my DVR.  Logitech pointed this defficiency to my AVR. However, I find it hard to believe it's the case when every other device capable of full 5.1/7.1 works just fine with my AVR.

Logi Browser
wangmaster

There might be some compatibility problems, but with my Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH receiver, if I use HDMI audio, I get 7.1 channel PCM from the Revue 100% of the time.

When the original source channel is a stereo only channel, I get 7.1 PCM with only audio from the LR channels.  When the original source channel is a DD5.1 signal (for example an HD channel) I get a 5.1 signal mapped to the appropriate 7.1 channels.

If I use a SPDIF optical cable, if I use DD output, I get the same as above except that instead of a 7.1 channel PCM input to the receiver, I get DD 100% of the time with stereo channels mapped to only the LR channels.

If I switch to PCM output over SPDIF, then I get stereo PCM 100% of the time.

Logi Browser
parkbsu

I think I'm running into the same problem...here's my set up:

STB -> HDMI -> Revue

Revue -> HDMI -> Sony TV

Revue -> Optical - Onkyo AVR

However, when I have that setup, I lose the 5.1 sound.  For example, watching football last weekend (NBC HD) and I no longer had the crowd noise coming from the rear speakers.  In the front, the center speaker was dead and the announcers were only coming from the left/right speakers.  

On that exact same channel, without changing anything on the AVR, I removed the optical cable from the Revue->AVR and did STB -> Optical -> AVR.  With that, I get crowd noise from the rear speakers, the announcers from the center speaker and then the left/right had sound.

I have not tried a movie channel or something that specifically indicates 5.1 sound, but if the broadcast network surround sound isn't working, that's a big deal for me.

On the Revue, I did go into the sound settings and selected "Dolby Digital".  Otherwise, I didn't change anything else.

Is this the expected behavior of the Revue?  I've seen variying reports on this issue and I'm not quite sure what is going on...  I do not have NetFlix, so I cannot test that, and I'm going to try Pandora tonight when I get home.

In the interim, my solution is to run an optical from the STB->AVR for TV sound and then second optical from the Revue->AVR for Google TV sound (this is obviously a second optical input on the AVR and I would switch back and forth based on what I'm watching/listening to).

towboy123
Topics: 125
Kudos: 507
Solutions: 152

5.1 Netflix is not supported at this time.

HDMI shows multi channel though it is not

SPDIF gives you DD 5.1 when the source is output in 5.1

___________________________________________________________________________________
If you are looking for official Logitech Customer/Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<.
Your Friendly Dish Network Technician
My views don't represent Dish Networks views I am just here to help
___________________________________________________________________________________
Harmony Home Control, Hopper Sling and Wireless Joey, Sony XBR55X850B, Sony STR-DA3400ES, Sony PS4.
Whats not being controlled by Harmony is a Phast-8 Amp and a Panamax Power Conditioner