Logi Nu
Lost_

Cable TV Picture Blanking / Black Screen / Flashing / Blinking / Dropped Signal = HDCP Issue?

Issue:

- TV picture intermittently blanks to black in an irregular interval.

- NO HDCP error/warning message displayed by STB. 

- Everything else (Netflix, Chrome) displays fine with no dropping/blinking/flashing.

Seen in:

- Live TV

- Home Screen: TV blinks intermittently in background

- Dual View: TV PIP-screen blinks intermittently

Setup:
- Comcast STB (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD)

- Revue (2.1-update1, b51795)

- Panasonic TCP42GT25.

When:

- Just started one morning, after the setup had been working fine for a while

- No update done recently

- No recent changes to the setup/cabling

Troubleshooting:

- Direct connection from STB -> TV = steady picture

- Changing HDMI cables (3 different ones) = did not fix

- Revue Power rebooting = did not fix, including leaving unplugged overnight.

- Soft-rebooted the STB (but didn't unplug STB power) = did not fix

How it went away:

After  doing all of the above and the problem still occurring, I switched STB to On-Demand. The screen blanking continued  few more times, but then it became steady!!

Keep in mind that the blanking did not occur with direct connection from STB to TV, so I didn't think STB was the issue.

Did I force the STB to renegotiate/reestablish HDCP by setting it to On-Demand mode?

I didn't fully unplug the cable box power because I didn't suspect STB was the issue, but that could've fixed it as well, but not sure.

Other similar issues:

- http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-major-issues/1986-tv-signal-blinks.html

- http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/HDMI-to-TV-flashing-problem/td-p/529920

- http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Picture-blinks-and-My-A-V-receiver-will-not-switch-HDMI-inputs/t...

towboy123
Topics: 125
Kudos: 507
Solutions: 152

Re: Cable TV Picture Blanking / Black Screen / Flashing / Blinking / Dropped Signal = HDCP Issue?

I know some of the older 8300 without a cable card slot had this problem.  If you don't have a cable card slot I would contact your service provider tosee if you can get a newer box.

I also remember there was a setting to change in the menus but not sure how to get to it.

___________________________________________________________________________________
If you are looking for official Logitech Customer/Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<.
Your Friendly Dish Network Technician
My views don't represent Dish Networks views I am just here to help
___________________________________________________________________________________
Harmony Home Control, Hopper Sling and Wireless Joey, Sony XBR55X850B, Sony STR-DA3400ES, Sony PS4.
Whats not being controlled by Harmony is a Phast-8 Amp and a Panamax Power Conditioner
Logi Nu
barret55

Re: Cable TV Picture Blanking / Black Screen / Flashing / Blinking / Dropped Signal = HDCP Issue?

I also have that issue happen to me on occasion.  For me, it usually happens when I switch inputs on my TV from my PS3 to my 8300HD when it's on an HD channel.  All I usually end up doing is changing the channel to a SD channel, and back, and the problem goes away.  I'm guessing it's some kind of syncing issue.

Logi Nu
MixedRevues

I am also having this issue with the Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC. It went away for like a day when I changed HDMI cables, which I thought solved the problem, but it's back, so that obviously wasn't the issue.

Logi Guru
Eferzz

Lost_ wrote:

After  doing all of the above and the problem still occurring, I switched STB to On-Demand. The screen blanking continued  few more times, but then it became steady!!

Keep in mind that the blanking did not occur with direct connection from STB to TV, so I didn't think STB was the issue.

Did I force the STB to renegotiate/reestablish HDCP by setting it to On-Demand mode?

I didn't fully unplug the cable box power because I didn't suspect STB was the issue, but that could've fixed it as well, but not sure.

I didn't even know the STB had a "On Demand" mode.  LOL.  I had my Logitech Revue in conjunction with the Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC for ten months and never experienced HDCP problems.  However, that didn't mean that they didn't exist for other people.  I believe largely it was due specifications that the individual providers placed in their OTA firmware updaets that cause some of these problems, while the others is a probably a flakey HDMI port or flakey HDCP process.  Bad HDMI cables didn't rule out the problem, it was just the most accessible for the customer to try.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Nu
GilbertD

This issue also happens with Dish 722K DVR. 1st unit would be "staticy" in live tv AFTER I watched a DVD on other HDMI port. Had it replaced with refurb  unit with Honeycomb update  and "staticy" issue went away. NEW issue is after unit is powered on for more than 5 days or so, the screen would blank in and out in live TV mode every other second or other random interval. Only way to resolve is to either reset the Revue or reset the DVR. Quicker to reset Revue but did both and did not make a difference.

So moved it upstairs to MBR TV to be used as Netflix client and other things.

Logi Guru
Eferzz

Another way to avoid problems with HDCP is using a Component to HDMI convector box like this Component (YPbPr) & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter from Monoprice. The analog connections are not govern by the HDCP protocol, so you won't have to put up with its quirks. This will allow you to connect your set-top box via component connection into the Logitech Revue without the repercussion of a unstable HDCP handshake.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.