Logi Visitor
chrismarois

Can I use External Harddrive - Not Flashdrive?

I am wondering if I can connect an external harddrive to the Revue.  I know that the limit on the Revue box is 895 GB, but all references to the connection say USB flash drive.  It also has to be formatted as Fat32.  When I attempt to format a partition of the drive to Fat32 it will not allow me to create a large partition.  The max is like...32 GB or so.  Not 100% of the limit, but it was between 30 - 40 GB.  Am I missing something?  Any advice/hints/tricks would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!

Logi Visitor
ericnhitterdal

Re: Can I use External Harddrive - Not Flashdrive?

I have a 250GB hard drive hooked up to mine formatted with the following tool as XP won't allow you to format Fat32 above 167gb i believe. You may have to power cycle after connecting it, or hit the RESCAN button on the screen.

Use the following link to download the fat32format tool. Super easy to use if you read the documentation (on the following page)

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Logi Visitor
chrismarois

Thank you Eric.  Great tool.  I have still not gotten a partition of the max size to work, and will try an 800 GB partition tonight.  The revue also does not seem to support multiple partitions on a single drive.  Has anyone gotten multiple partitions to work?

Logi Nu
dirigodigital

For the Logitech Review with Google TV.  There are 2 USB ports on the rear to which you can connect an unknow number of devices, and potentialy update and modify the system to use a wider vareity of devices, Google preferring the later and content providers wanting control.  This creates an ecosystem where the excact capabilities and limitaties all exist in a meaty gray area.

I've been experimenting with my Revue on the out of box capable, unmodified side, and it is interesting.  It has potential, as does google TV.  But it's too close to a computer and too far from a consuption device to gain a following on either side.  It's also an investmetn, one that feels limited by the cut of of web base major netowrk programming.

To the question of connectivty to external storage devices.  I've connected several external jump/thumb drives and had no luck viewing media files.  I formated a 320 Western Digital Hard Drive, on my Mac using Disk Utility as MS-DOS (Fat) and copied 250 movies over to it, plugged it in and it recognized them all, and playes them great.  MP4s and M4Vs.

Logi Journeyman
TheSANTechnolog

Limits were changed a couple FW updates ago.  Now supports USB deivces up to 2TB and NTFS support.

Logi Nu
RayMan7

I want to attach a

Western Digital My Book Essential 3 TB  External Hard drive in which I have loads of .mkv and all sorts of other BluRay and DVD movies and TV Episodes which I have backed-up from my physical collection and .mp3 as well. Will the Logitech Revue recognize ALL of my files complete with the Folder Structure, with the TV Episodes split up into seasons Folder Structure is especially important, I want to know if it will play all of my media clearly and correctly?
Logi Nu
OscarWJ

Hello,

Did you get answer to this question?

Regards,

Oscar

Logi Guru
Eferzz

OscarWJ wrote:

Hello,

Did you get answer to this question?

Regards,

Oscar

Basically, a USB drive (Flash/Disk) is compatible as long as it is under 2TB. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Visitor
davenff

Logitech states the following: USB mass storage device not recognized on Logitech Media Player 

USB mass storage device is not recognized on Logitech Media Player on my Revue?

Logitech Media Player supports USB mass storage devices up to 2 terabytes.

If the storage space is less than 2 terabytes and the storage device is not recognized:

Unplug the USB mass storage device and plug it back in.Click on Rescan sources in Logitech Media Player to refresh your list.USB media content should now be displayed.

NOTE: USB mass storage devices should be formatted in FAT, FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS and will not work in any other format. Storage space over 2 terabytes may work but is not supported. Only one USB storage device can be connected at a time.

Visit the followiing link: http://revue.logitech.com/digitalhome/answers?a_id=20001&sub_cat=Moving%20Beyond%20the%20Basics&c=18...

Logi Nu
baespy37

I have discovered that the Logitech Revue is limited on what kind of harddrives it likes. I just got a 3tb Seagate drive and tried to hook it into my logitech revue. Disappointed to find out that it wont read it. But it likes my 1 tb Wester Digital drive?? I also have the Western Digital Media PLayer as well. And that will read my 3 tb external drive? I have come to the conclusion that its a matter of formats between the two players. A little set back with the Logitech Revue. But for what it does I have no complaints for the money.Maybe that could be a fix for the next model. Even WesternDigital doent have a media player like Logitech. I just happen to have both brands. SO hope this helps anyone with that situation. I have a lit of media I was trying to backup. So either device will do just all depends on how much you want to spend.j