Logi Browser
Drakey83
Accepted Solution

Cisco Explorer 8642HDC

So I was having problems getting my old Brighthouse DVR (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300hd) to work with the Logitech Revue, the picture would just go black randomly and I would have to unplug and plug the HDMI cable to get it to work again. I was told by the help desk that it was a known issue but it wasn't a Logitech issue and I would have to ask for a new DVR from Brighthouse.

So I asked Brighthouse to hook me up with their latest DVR box, well unfortunately for me the latest and only other replacement box that they have is the Cisco Explorer 8642HDC.

After getting everything hooked up I started up my Revue and now I my TV doesn't even recognize a signal at all. All I see when I'm trying to set up my DVR is a black box! I've looked everywhere for a fix for this problem and was even told by the help desk people that I was basically SOL.

I refuse to just take this, it should be illegal for them to sell a product that is promised to be working and then not have it work. It has been past the 30 day period and I have even thrown away the box that it came in (it seemed to work fine for the fist couple of months until I started getting the random black out issues with my old box) so I am unable to return the product.

Basically I am begging for a good Samaritan or heaven forbid a person who actually works for Logitech to help me with this problem. Please if somebody knows how to solve this issue please write me back!

I used to have a TON of brand loyalty towards Logitech but my past HORRIBLE experiences (see some of my previous post on here) and the total lack of customer support really makes me never want to buy another Logitech product for as long as I live. I've said it before and this time I really mean it, I will never buy another Logitech product and I will discourage anyone else I know from buying one as well, unless I actually receive some customer support.

Logi Guru
Eferzz

Re: Cisco Explorer 8642HDC

The problem is that the Logitech Revue works, you knew that when it worked with your original box; albeit with intermittent issues.  The root of the problem is that these cable companies have been known to implement OTA updates that affect the firmware of the set-top box.  Especially, for the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) which is the usual cause of the blank or disrupted signal. 

If you're having so much problems with the cable company's DVR, I would recommend getting one for yourself.  I personally didn't have any problems at all with Time Warner's Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC.  However, I was annoyed at the all the updates they imposed of the year while they went from Passport to the Navigator firmware.  The Navigator firmware was useless, they disabled the external drive support and pip functionality.  To add insult to injury, I still had recordings from the external drive and the customer support told me that there was no way to back rev the firmware.

So, even though the Revue worked fine I kept on using it till I realized I was paying $17 a month for rental of the DVR for the past 8 years,  That's when I realized all of these problems would have been avoided and could have saved money had I just purchased a lifetime Tivo.  I ended up picking the Tivo Premiere & antenna combo deal at Best Buy then use the PLSR code to get $100 off of the lifetime subscription.  And I have to tell you, I'm never going back to renting a cable owned DVR... ever!  In fact, the Tivo does so well with OTA recordings that I may even cut the cable cord at the end my required subscription.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Visitor
JKenP

I've said it before and this time I really mean it

The World Quakes!

Hog
Logi Rook
Hog

Drakey83,

I'm on Brighthouse using a recently-obtained Cisco 8640HDC box, and all is working ok with the Revue. I believe the Cisco 8640 box works the same as the 8642 box.  When I first integrated the Revue into my existing home theater system, I went thru several different connection configurations before I got it all to work correctly.  Of course, I don't know how you've hooked up your equipment, but one thing I discovered in one of my connection trials was that the 8640 does not work if both HDMI and component cables are connected to it at the same time.

Logi Browser
Drakey83

My setup is fairly sraight foward,

coax to Cisco 8642HDC box,

HDMI out of DVR to Revue,

Revue HDMI out to the TV.

is your setup that worked any different?

Thanks for the helpful replys so far!

Logi Apprentice
galfert

[ Edited ]

I'm on Brighthouse also (Orlando, FL) and I'm using the Cisco 8642HDC with my Revue without any problems.  I previously had the Samsung DVR SMT-H3090 and that worked well too.  And previous to that I had the Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC also without problems.    Hog is right about the black screen if you hook up both HDMI and Component from the DVR.....you just can't do that.  Also if your TV is not HDCP compliant you could also get a black screen.  And although it may be obvioius make sure you didn't reverse the HDMI input and output ports on the back of the Revue.

Drakey83

[ Edited ]

I found out what my problem was, even though I SWEAR I tested multiple HDMI cords I must not of used the right ones to work with the Revue. I finally retried every single HDMI cord that I have at my house and what do you know it started working on my very last cord. Thanks for all the help.

Hog
Logi Rook
Hog

[ Edited ]

That's great news!

I remember on one occasion a couple of years ago, I ran out of ideas in trying to resolve an HDMI-related problem, so I simply swapped ends on the same HDMI cable and everything suddenly worked fine.  Go figure.

Logi Browser
Drakey83

Stupid HDMI cords LOL they can be so fickle, but honestly thank you all that helped me out! I had completely given up all hope in actually trying after the Logitech help desk told me that their was nothing more that I could do (I should of know better) and really the confirmation that the Cisco Explorer 8642HDC COULD actually work with my Revue was all the motivation I needed to give it one last shot!

Its just in time too, we should be getting the new Honeycomb update any day now THANKS AGAIN!