Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mark5

Revue & Google TV Update: Logitech Media Player application

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

We've updated the Logitech Media Player application in our latest software update. The build number will end in "b42449." The following features have been added to the Logitech Media Player:

• USB storage devices formatted in NTFS are now supported
  • Drives up to a maximum of 2 TB (terabytes) are now supported when formatted in NTFS
  • mp42 codec support is now added

These FAQs have been updated to reflect the changes in the Logitech Media Player:

Playing or viewing content on Revue from a USB mass storage device

USB mass storage device not recognized on Logitech Media Player

Media formats supported on Revue

If you'd like more information about the software update, see this post. This includes instructions on how to ensure you have the latest build.

Regards,

Logitech Revue Care

Logi Browser
pmichaud

Media player no longer sees content on MediaTomb DLNA server

[ Edited ]

I received the new Logitech Revue firmware update this morning, and now the Logitech Media Player no longer sees any content on my DLNA server (MediaTomb).  It finds the server itself okay, but doesn't display any content.
It was working just fine before the firmware update.

In fact, I was to give a demonstration this morning to my local users' group of setting up a DLNA server for the Revue and had tested it early this morning (3am CST), but the (forced+late) firmware upgrade completely destroyed the ability to demonstrate a working system.
I've tried resetting/rebuilding my DLNA server to no effect (and on several different machines)--the Revue connects to the DLNA server but doesn't list any of the content.
All in all, this has been a very disappointing and disturbing update.  Please give the end users a lot more control over when updates occur. Over the past several days I tried repeatedly to obtain the new firmware for testing prior to my presentation, but always got "your system is up to date".   Then, mere hours before my presentation and without notification to me, the firmware upgrade was forced on my box (and broke core capabilities) just as I was set to publicly rely upon it, with absolutely no option to decline / defer the update until after my presentation or downgrade to a known working firmware version.
Needless to say, my audience (which is normally very pro-Android) was not very impressed with the Revue.
Pm

Logi Visitor
Tim4524

Re: Media player no longer sees content on MediaTomb DLNA server

I also have not been able to connect to my DLNA server since the update.  I have been using mediatomb for a few months with minimal issues.  I've tried installing a few other DLNA servers but without success.  The revue list the servers but is unable to list files.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Logi Nu
TroyMpls

Re: Revue & Google TV Update: Logitech Media Player application

I'm using the FreeNAS DLNA server and am having the same problem.  The player can see and refresh the source, but won't display any content.  Upon telling it to refresh the content list, it complains of network problems.   No other apps have any trouble accessing the network.  

The player was functioning properly prior to the recent update.

Logi Nu
BigSoup

Same here. Using freenas with fuppes for streaming. Prior to the update it worked flawlessly. This was one of the main functions I was using the revue for. Very disappointed and may return it. I also agree that the automatic updates is a huge mistake. I never apply updates as soon as they come out for this very reason. If I would have been able to research this update and find that DLNA was no longer working correctly I would never have applied it.
Logi Nu
Macil

Having the same issue. Running MediaTomb on an Ubuntu machine that was working very well before, and will not list any content at all now. Please release some kind of fix for this ASAP, as I don't have cable, this was one of my primary ways of viewing content, and now this box has become next to useless.
Logi Browser
gregko

Hi Mark,

thank you for updating the player, but it still has a long way to go...

I see that WMV video files were now removed from the listing of files, when I try to access them either from USB media or via DLNA server. If I rename a file to have an extension .avi (even if it's really .wmv file), I can see and play it as before, see the movie but there is no sound.

Some true AVI files that did not play sound before, play it now, but there is no image... Just gray screen. Other AVI files do play picture, but no sound.

I could try to re-encode some movie files about which I care to AVI file and specific audio codec, if you could tell me which audio and video codecs to select so that I could get both audio and video...

Another trouble I see is similar to another user reporting here - I can't play anything now from the Mezzo DLNA server, but at least Windows Media DLNA server still works.

Logi Nu
Doc Rose

Your update broke my system.  No longer able to see my mediatomb content.  I see the server, but no content.  Same problem others have posted on this board.

Logi Browser
yzfr1

I just got my logitech revue yesterday.  I use mythtv with ubuntu that has a built in dlna server with upnp.  It shows my server just no content.  I tried media tomb as well and there is still no content.  This is one on the main features I was wanting to use.  Please fix this logitech/google.  I know it is an app.  How can we help fix it.  I am a developer and would love to help.

Logi Browser
gregko

[ Edited ]

Everybody else in this thread complains about no contents listed from DLNA server. This is also my problem with Mezzo DLNA server running on Windows 7. However, even if "content listing" is fixed, what good it is if the player still can't play it? Please, guys, copy some of your files to any USB media and see if the player can play it at all. Which media type and format do you care?

I was able to play some music and photos from Windows Media Player server and locally from USB stick. However often I can not display even regular JPEG files (even if the thumbnail is displayed correctly) or play some music files. The biggest obstacle is playing video files - they either don't play at all, or play video without sound, or sound without images (tested AVI, WMV and FLV movies.) Maybe we should prepare a list of file types and formats that can and cannot be played now, then pray to software gods that they inspire Logitech developers to finally fix these issues...

Greg