Logi Visitor
kent777

Alert 750i indoor master - record through window during the night

Hi all,

I am a potential buyer for Alert 750i and wanted to see if following is possible or if someone tried following:

-       Set this camera close by the window aiming the outside (example: outside of the main entrance)

-       During night.

-       There is a night lamp being ON at the outside.(example: regular entrance lamp installed just next to the main

entrance door, it is not very bright, but,  because of this, I can see who is coming through the window)

-       In addition to above,  there is Flood lamp w/motion sensor that aims for the spot where the camera is aiming.

-       Question : Could the camera detect “motion” through the windows..?  

Understand that this camera does not have night vision, but with high quality camera, I was wondering that if this works.

The reason why I am thinking of this is that:

-       I do not want the camera to be recognized by other than myself and my family.  For example, If I set IR Outdoor camera, then, potential intruder could recognize this and damage the camera.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you.

Logi Guru
UselessS

Re: Alert 750i indoor master - record through window during the night

[ Edited ]

The motion detection is done with the video it sees...like comparing one video frame to the next, so the window itself would not be an issue.  Of course, there would need to be enough light so it can see movement...and hopefully not too much light from inside the window reflects into the camera lens.  It sounds like your motion lights would kick on, which would also probably trigger camera recording and enough light is there to see what you want to see.

Logi Visitor
kent777

Thanks a  lot.

Assume that you actually tried the same or something similar..?

Again, wanted to see the possibility to use camera without IR feature, because if I used camera w/ IR through the window,

guess.. IR gets reflected by the window..?

Also, if you or somebody else do not mind another question.

Can I set or restrict the time for the camera to operate?  For example, set the Operation time zone from 10:00pm to 5:00am etc..?  I have read the how the system(software) works on the web, but not 100% sure if I saw such feature indicated.

Thanks again

Logi Guru
UselessS

All my cameras are outdoor...as I wanted that IR capability even when used inside...you can also turn-off night mode if needed.  Yes, the outdoor IR lights are in the camera ( 2 dull red LEDs as seen by us humans ), so a window right in front of it would reflect way too much of it back into the lens...actually, anything within 2-3 feet of the lens viewing area will reflect too much.

The scheduling is a much requested feature...not yet implemented...maybe in the future...today you have to set motion detection slider to zero manually to turn it off ( or I suppose you could just cover it <g> ).

There is Web and phone access...but your primary app is Alert Commander on the PC...works within your local/home network.

Logi Visitor
kent777

Ok... Thanks for giving me the information about the time set feature...!  They do not have it now, huh..

Then, makes me wonder whether the 2GB memory card (in the camera) would be enough for how long or even how many nights?

Well, I do not expect the camera to be turned on and off very, but I expect that sometimes flood light could be triggered by the traffic..   Is there a refernce or estimate how long 2GB memory to be consumed?

Also, understand I can buy larger memory card though.

Logi Guru
UselessS

Here's a rough estimate...

The video clips top out around 5mb for around 30 seconds ( there is some variance here, but this should suffice )...so 10mb per minute...or 100 minutes per gb.  So 2gb roughly 200 minutes...32gb 3200 minutes ( 53 hours ).

Obviously it greatly depends on how much motion occurs in the camera's defined motion detection area of the video image...something you'll have to get a feel for when you place them. 

Logi Visitor
kent777

Thanks a lot again!

This is a great reference.

I first would go with 2GB memory to see what happens.

I think I would likely buy this since I have already some devices (Media Link Data port over Power Outlet) and I can add this to the power outlet where I plan to set this camera.

Logi Guru
UselessS

I'm not familiar with that...not all brands of HomePlug technology play well together, so not sure if that is what you refer to. 

Logi Visitor
kent777

Well, I would give it a try anyway.

Thanks!

Logi Visitor
kent777

Hi,

>not all brands of HomePlug technology play well together, so not sure if that is what you refer to

Well, I thought I got all my questions answered, but the comment above triggered me to another question here and hope I could get an answer..

What if do following here:

- What if I set this camera(s) "without" connecting to the router through Logitech home plug device.

- Then, can this camerra(s) still work and record to the SD memory card(as long as the memory capacity is there)?

- At certain point, I would connect the camera(s) to routher so that the recorded image could up-load to provided Logictech 

server..?

Thanks.