Logi Nu
chrisjn

use camera with Verizon 'Mifi'

I want to use camera at remote location with no DSL line. We currently have a laptop on site with a Verizon 'Mifi". 

Obviously I would like to view the camera remotely and receive warnings of camera activation. What are my options? I have been told it won't work with 'Mifi'.

Logi Guru
UselessS

Re: use camera with Verizon 'Mifi'

[ Edited ]

Well, the MiFi could provide the internet connection to the laptop via WiFi ( or USB )...and you could plug the HomePlug bridge into the ethernet port of the laptop...thus connecting the cameras ( if your laptop allows both network connections simutaneously )...so I'd say it is "possible", but can't say for certain.

That being said, video represents a lot of data...so if you have any data plan that is not unlimited, it could chew throught it pretty quickly...so I'm not sure how practical that setup would be if viewed remotely very much.  You'd also need to check the uplink capacity of that MiFi...if it is via 3G or less, it may not handle the video uplink very well.

Logi Nu
chrisjn

Many thanks. I'll try that. I am not sure but I think the mifi is 4G.

Logi Guru
UselessS

Let us know how it went...good luck.

Logi Nu
chrisjn

It could be a week or two. We, the group who want the surveillance, haven't purchased it yet.

What is interesting is Logitech support say it won't work, Best Buy say it might with a Netgear universal wifi and Verizon say it might work with a Cradlepoint.

So we shall see.

Logi Nu
chrisjn

It is up and running and backing up to the computer but no internet connection yet. Took a while to find two outlets that would allow communication between the two devices as there was a coke machine running constantly near to the outlet servicing the camera.

Logi Nu
weum2004

I have 3 home systems running at different locations.

System 1 has a verizon router at my home and the network adapter plugged into one of its 4 ethernet ports. It works perfect.

System 2  is a remote location and uses a cradlepoint with a verison usb 551L, it was a pain to update the cradlepoints firmware but works now just fine now.

System 3 is a remote location and I am trying to use verizon samsung 4g LTE mifi card. If I plug my network adapter directly into my computers ethernet plug, then all 6 cameras come up.But when I plug the network adapter into my netgear universal ethernet adapter WNCE2001, I can only get two  of the 6 cameras to come up. I have reset, rebooted and unplugged for a whole day.

1) What else can I try with my current setup?

2) Is there another brand universal ethernet adapter I should try? 

Logi Nu
securitycam

Just found out the hard way trying to remote check in on a security camera system i just installed in my home.

Verizon 4G lte does not allow a static IP (which is what you need for remote use and port forwarding) that is unless you pay them a one time fee of $500.

Not easy to get around, not to happy as we just signed a 2 year contract with verizon.  Should of done my homework.

Several postings on the web describing this problem.

Logi Visitor
RoundSparrow

[ Edited ]

I"m working on an Android App that is heavily focused on this problem of efficent remote access.

You drop in an Android device on the same local nework (LAN) as the cameras - and it does the job of managing the cameras.  So you don't need to maintain a 24x7 network connection to all your cameras independetly... and no cloud is required, as the Android device acts as a server. 

This design has a lot of nice advantages:  1) you can get a tablet or phone that runs Android - and they have battery built in for power outages. 2) you don't need an expensive Android device - as you won't be using the screen on it. I find a lot of inexpensive phones with small 3" or 3.5" screens (these days the big sellers are 5" screens).  3) you can even do SMS or other means to tell you that the cameras got motion, etc when your Internet fails.  4) Drop a 64GB or 128GB SD Card into one Android devices - and let it pull all the recordings off the 2GB cards in the Logitech Alert - that way you can best use the space and your money.  There are also Android devices that support USB flash or hard drives if you want bigger.... 5) You could have the Android device upload your recordings and snpashots to DropBox, Google, etc

You get the idea.  This little Android box acts as your own private server to manage the Logitech Alert cameras.  You can even instruct it to reboot cameras, take snapshots, format the SD Card, turn on/off the LED, etc.

The App talks over WebRTC to Opera, Google Chomre or Firefox.  So you can do all this from a web browser anywhere in the world!

One solution for remote access is I use SSH to get secure access to the Android device for the connection. You can even use other apps on Android to maintain an OUTBOUND solution for VPN or SSH session - so you can do fine if Verizon gives you a dynamic address - non-static.  As this device is dong the job of OUTBOUND connecting - you don't need to deal with all the problems of restricted INBOUND connections.

I even have the Android "server" do port forwarding over SSH or VPN for the Logitech video streams over rtsp: - I pay $19/year for a private virtual system (VPS) running LInux with my own public IP Address that is the SSH server for my remote access.  One such server could provide access for thousands of cameras and remote sites :smileywink:

I'm opening up Alpha (pre-Beta) in the next couple weeks. PM me if you are interested.