Logi Nu
SampoK

Asus Xonar Essence STX + Logitech z906

[ Edited ]

Hey,

I bought new logitech z906 speaker set and Asus soundcard and I'm having problems with surround sound. I have connected the speakers to soundcard with SPDIF optical cable. My problem is that if I choose Dolby Digital Live from soundcard settings I hear music only from front left/right and speaker consoles "Decode" LED lights while "3D","4.1",2.1" lights are off... 

If I change Dolby Digital Live to PCM speaker consoles "3D" led lights and I get 5.1 sound, but sound quality drops... Don't z906 support Dolby digital live  and what this "Decode" led means?

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
jlohnes

Re: Asus Xonar Essence STX + Logitech z906

Hello SampoK,

The Z906 will decode the Dolby Digital 5.1 format and not the Dolby Digital Live real time format. The decode light was likely lit because it recognized a Dolby signal for decoding, but could not process the full signal as it does not have the means. See here for the specs on the Z906 - as you will see, Dolby Digital Live is not listed as being supported by the Z906. 

Regards,

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Nu
ManoCool

Dude .. I want to purchase  ASUS Xonar Essence STX for my Z906 speakers ..

What would you like to suggest ? and what kind of card you are presently using ..

if you can please provide me your contact info such that I can contact you personally ..

Thanks

Logi Apprentice
Zaim

jlohnes wrote:

Hello SampoK,

The Z906 will decode the Dolby Digital 5.1 format and not the Dolby Digital Live real time format. The decode light was likely lit because it recognized a Dolby signal for decoding, but could not process the full signal as it does not have the means. See here for the specs on the Z906 - as you will see, Dolby Digital Live is not listed as being supported by the Z906. 

Regards,

Correction is needed here.

Dolby digital live is real time 5.1 encoding your soundcard does, it sends out a dolby digital 5.1 signal to the speakers, and the Z906 does support it, as long as the speakers support dolby digital decoding its fine. Same goes for DTS Interactive, the soundcard will encode the source signal into a DTS signal, the Z906 supports DTS decoding so DTS interactive will work.

In the Asus Xonar audio center set the audio channel's to 2, this is so stereo sources will be upmixed to 5.1, set SPDIF out to DDL.