Logi Browser
MLD Woody

Connecting Z506 to a TV With Only SPDIF Out

Hello, I am trying to connect my Z506 speakers to my new TV (Vizio E470VA) which only has an SPDIF out. My question is how can I go about doing this and still keep the 5.1 surround sound, if possible.

I do not know a whole lot about audio but I realize I am trying to go from digital to audio. Will this cause me to lose the possible 5.1 surround sound? I also realize I'll have to by some converters, hopefully not too expensive though.

Only thing I have come up with so far is converting the SPDIF to RCA (those are the red and white cables right?) and then converting the red and white jacks to the green. yellow and blacks jacks through the Logitech brand Audio Converter for Consoles. In the process of doing all of this though, will I lose my surround sound capabilities? From what I gather I won't have true surround sound, but decently close.

If I have to I can just go straight out of my 360 through the console audio converter to get the "almost" surorund sound but I'd like to go through my TV so everything connected to it gets the benfits. That is as long as its cost affective.

So, if anyone read through that post, what should I do?

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
jlohnes

Re: Connecting Z506 to a TV With Only SPDIF Out

Hello MLD Woody,

The Z506 is designed to process true surround sound from the output of a 5.1 channel capable PC sound card. You will be able to connect a digital optical audio cable to the speakers for simulated surround sound, but will need to purchase a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter for audio) which can be expensive or inexspensive depending on quality of the signal you want, and can be purchased in most electronic stores and from many websites. 

Have a great day!

Regards,

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Browser
MLD Woody

Thank you for the response.

My only question is what kind of DAC goes from the SPDIF to the type of output I need to keep the 5.1 surround sound? I do not know what the connection is called on the Logitech speakers (the green, yellow, and black cables).

Logi Guru
Logi Guru
BLH

There are many SPDIF to Stereo converters.

Finding a SPDIF to 5.1 converter maybe a harder thing to find.

The problem is the converter needs the necessary conversion electronics and a licensing fee paid by the converters manufacturer to Dolby or the protocol license holder. If you find one expect in the hundred or more dollar range.

Try a Google Search for things like SPDIF to 5.1 or digital to analog audio converters.

If you get a SPDIF to Stereo analog converter.

Logitech makes a game converter that takes the stereo analog and splits  into the three cables you now have.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=logitech+5.1+game+console+adapter&gs_upl=2453l3140l1l...#

Logi Browser
MLD Woody

One more question if no one minds.

What is the name of those three inputs on the back of the Logtiech Z506 that allow it to be 5.1. I am talking about the black, orange and green inputs. The black and orange are just like the red and white cables and the green looks like something you would plug into a something you would plug headphones into.

Logi Nu
DMon71

The 3 coloured cables (green, yellow and black) are called 3.5mm male to male stereo cables individually or grouped in 3 as in the cable supplied with the speakers.

Logi Nu
DMon71

the inputs are just called 3.5mm stereo inputs/outputs or jacks.

Logi Browser
MLD Woody

Ok thank you.

So I need to find a SPDIF to 3.5mm stereo out to have any chance of surround sound. Or, that might not actually be surround sound. I thought those three cables coming from a PC with the appropriate sound card could get surround sound. But if they are called stereo cables I guess not.

Logi Guru
Logi Guru
BLH

Yes three cables and a sound card that can do surround sound. Will give you surround sound.

The common name of each cable is a stereo cable. With three each is carrying a different signal . Like front left and right.

I doubt the TV even sends surround sound from the optical connector. Just a stereo sound.

There are plenty of Optical to Stereo Audio converters and I don't know how the Logitech Game Adapter routes the stereo signals to the three cables on the Z506.

Logi Browser
MLD Woody

I was just thinking that if SPDIF can send a surround sound signal from my TV, I just need to convert it through something so that it is not lost on the way to the 3 stereo cables.

Or I am competely off base and I can't send a surround sound signal out of my TV. But that would be stupid...

Basically I want to have all my devices (360, N64, PS3 and TV) connected to these speakers and too keep the surround sound signal on devices that have that. I figured the best way was to send all the audio into the TV like normal, and then send the audio from my TV to the speakers in a way that kept the surround sound.

....I'm sorry I just do not know that much about audio. I mean, I know a lot about technology (sophomore engineering student) but not audio