Logi Nu
sherilynn

Difference between X530 and X540

Does anyone know what the difference is between the X-530 5.1 speaker system and the X-540 5.1 speaker system? 

Logi Browser
ExFiveFortyX540

Re: Difference between X530 and X540

What's the X-530 speaker system? The only surround sound speakers that I know of by Logitech are the X-540s, the G51s and the Z-5500s, in order from price and performance/features. I don't believe there is a surround sound system called the X-530s - at least, not in North America. Where did you hear of these so-called speakers?

Logi Nu
sherilynn

They are selling the X530 at Wallmart. The system is about $25 cheaper than X-540 so I was wondering what the technical difference was.

Logi Browser
ExFiveFortyX540

Hmm. Since I'm too lazy to check your profile, and I'm not even sure I'd find it in there, where do you live (country and region-wise)?

I live in the province of Ontario, Canada, and I've never seen anything but the X-540s, the G51s, and the Z-5500s. Not in any retail store, nor online (I only usually go online to shops that have a brick-and-mortar location near me, anyway, so Ebay and other likewise "retailers" are out).

Logi Rook
HiFiAddict

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Multimedia-Theatre-Speaker-System/dp/B0006LCMK4

Anyway, there's 3 differences.

1 - the satellites come with (IMO) a better grill, offering more protection from the likes of small children.

2 - the subwoofer fires downwards, meaning you only have to make sure the port is unblocked (easier room placement)

3 - you get a wired remote. This just sits on your desk, lets you adjust bass, volume etc easily. Brilliant if you can't reach your speakers to turn the volume up/down (like on the 530)

Everything else - drivers used, amplifier, etc. Are all the same.

Logi Browser
ExFiveFortyX540

As with all down-firing subwoofers, you MUST BE CAREFUL with it as the cone is unprotected (silly mistake on Logitech's part, but it sounds great). If you have nails of any length (luckily I chew mine so this isn't a problem) it is possible to poke a small hole in the cone while lifting it. Even when setting it down on my carpet floor, I nearly had a heart attack when my finger slipped and I sort-of whacked the outer ring portion of the cone. The woofer itself is sturdy enough, just try to put it on some carpet if you can, somewhere where it won't be at-risk, like underneath a desk. Just don't use it as a foot stool, as despite the tall legs on the X-540, your feet can push it down into the carpet and it may muffle the sound.

Other than that, I'd recommend the X-540s. They are a great, low-priced 5.1 system, and the Matrix mode makes it even more of a steal. If I had the money, I may have gone with the G51s, since they, along with the Z-5500s, were at my TigerDirect.ca store,  but it really doesn't matter. The bass is great, the satellites are crisp, and they don't lose quality when the volume is turned up. Quite the opposite, in fact - if I could figure a way to soundproof my room without making holes in the walls I'd turn it up past 50%. As it is, that's pretty much where I keep it, because it's just loud enough that you can fully enjoy the speakers without disturbing those on the same floor as you or those directly beneath you (and I have a house with an open-floor plan, so the sound carries, too).

Logi Nu
mzman

The actual difference is that the X-530 systems had a flaw that Logitech knew about in 2006. The X-540 is the the same model fixed the problem with the X-530's The only difference is what was mentioed, Subwoofer is box itself might be different but the actual speaker itself is the same, so to me it is the same at least as far as cost goes. The only other thing is the remote, which is wired so again not any additional value added. Logitech came out with the X-540's to correct the probelm with the X-530's because it wasn't possible to fix them.

The sad thing is that Logitach knew about this problem back in 2006 yet X-530's are still being sold as both the X-530's and the X-540's can be found on Amazon as of thwe writing of this port. This also explains the reason why the X-530's can be found so cheaply. Logitech will not replace your known faulty X-530 speakers with the new X-540's even thought they are the same speakers with the problem corrected.

DO NOT BUY THE X-530's as they are faulty and will pop whenever any light switch or any power surge happens. It happens because Logitech failed to shield the system, which has been known to do for the last 50 years.

Please read this post http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Speakers/Popping-and-Humming-sound-Shielding-issues-Logitech-Audio/m-p...