Logi Nu
cmonalready

Help connect z506 speakers to TV with true surround sound (receiver, converter question) ?

Hi,

I'm aware that connecting my speakers to an HDTV with the usual red/white stereo cables only gives you an "automated" surround sound, and that most options out there only give you enough inputs to use these two-channel solutions.

However, I have an old receiver:

[img]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6778/receiver.jpg[/img]

...and the z506 set:

[img]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9273/speakerse.jpg[/img]

My TV's only audio out is digital coax, which the z506s don't have. From what I've read, the only way to get true surround sound out of them is to use the three 3.5mms, but a DAC is pretty darn expensive. With the receiver I have, would I be able to use 3.5mm to RCA converters to plug them all into the receiver, and then a coax to the TV (or some other combination)?

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
CarterW

Re: Help connect z506 speakers to TV with true surround sound (receiver, converter question) ?

[ Edited ]

Hi cmonalready,

An adapter is the only thing I can think of that will work, but there's no guarantee the speakers will function on one, it's not something that can be supported. However on that picture it looks like the only Audio out your TV has is RCA and Digital Optical, the Digital Coaxial looks like Audio In to me.

However most TV's do not output 5.1 audio since they only have 2 stereo speakers, typically that would come from something like a Blueray player, cable box, satellite receiver, video game console, etc...Some do and it may be possible yours does, but from my experience most TVs only output stereo, even through the digital audio connections, you may want to check with the manufacturer to be sure.

I hope this information helps you.

Regards

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.