Logi Nu
bomapo26

Help with Z-640 speakers with TV/Xbox360/PS3

I found some old speakers laying around that I'd like to use with my tv. However I am not sure if there is a way for me to hook it up. I have a 2 year old Toshiba flat screen HDTV and Z-640 Logitech speakers. What I would like to do, if even possible, is use the speakers with my TV to play the sound for my Xbox 360 and PS3. I have picked my brain and can't figure out how to do it. I know there are ways to hook up just one, but I'd like to know how to do this, and possible hook them both up so I don't have to unplug and replug all the time. To use my PS3 and Xbox 360, I use HDMI cables for both, for both audio and video. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
dhelpard1

Re: Help with Z-640 speakers with TV/Xbox360/PS3

Hello bomapo26,

The first thing you would want to do is see what kind of audio outputs your TV has.  If your TV has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, you will be able to simply plug the green 3.5mm plug in to the headphone jack on your TV.  Unfortunately, most newer TV's do not have a standard 3.5mm headphone jack on them.  Most of them have an optical digital out.  If this is the case, you will first need an optical cable like this one, and a digital to analog audio converter such as this one.  You would plug the optical cable in to the optical audio out on your TV to the input on the converter.  You will then have to connect the audio converter to your speakers.  A cable/adaptor like this one will do the trick.  You would then simply plug the green 3.5mm plug in to the 3.5mm receptacle on the RCA to 3.5mm female cable/adaptor.  You will not get true surround sound from the speakers connecting them in this fashion.  You will need to enable matrix mode from the control pod for your speakers.  This will simulate surround sound.

I hope this helps you out.

Sincerely,

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.