Logi Nu
feedquentin
Accepted Solution

How to connect X540 Speakers to TV/Monitor

Hi there,

I have my Medion Akoya S5610 laptop connected to a Samsung TV/Monitor, and to achieve surround sound with my X540 speakers I have been attaching them directly to my laptops audio outputs. This all works fine but i was wondering if i could connect the X540 speakers to my TV directly, so when i switch between my xbox console, TV, or laptop then i do not need to swap around the speaker cables.

The TV/Monitor has a digital audio output socket, but the X540 speakers do not have a corresponding input. Is there any way i connect the X540 speakers to the TV/Monitor without using a Digital audio cable and still recieve surround sound? (or close to surround sound in matrix mode)

Thanks in advance for any help. :smileyhappy:

Logi Master
Astrallite

Re: How to connect X540 Speakers to TV/Monitor

feedquentin wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering if i could connect the X540 speakers to my TV directly, so when i switch between my xbox console, TV, or laptop then i do not need to

No

feedquentin wrote:

Hi there,

matrix mode

Thanks in advance for any help. :smileyhappy:

Not familiar with X-540 but if its not capable of matrix mode on its own, then no.

Hi,

If you are saying that your Samsung TV only has Digital audio out, then you are not going to be able to hook it directly to the X-540.  It sounds like you want to have your xbox console, TV, and laptop all connected to your X540 at the same time.  The problem is the X-540 does not have enough audio inputs to accomplish that.  You need to have audio input from all three sources going into X-540. 

Does your laptop of digital out; Optical or Coaxial?  If it does you could actually turn the X-540 into a true digital surround system if you are willing to spend about $75 American dollars.  You could purchase the Tritton AX360 True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset, which comes with a digital decoder that three 3.5mm audio outputs for use with 5.1 powered computer speakers (see link below).  If you call the company directly, they will send you the decoder for $50 dollars with out the headphones, that includes shipping.  It has one optical digital audio input and Coaxial digital audio input.  You can buy a cheap Optical or Coaxial  switch for more digital inputs. 

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA600.htm

I believe the X-box has optical out, if your computer has optical or Coaxial out and your TV cable box has optical or Coaxial out, then you could hook all three of this components into the Tritton AX360 decoder which will send audio out to your X-540.  If the audio source has Dolby digital 5.1 sound, then you will get true surround sound sound.  If the source is in stereo, then you could use either the X-540 Matrix mode or the Tritton decoder also has Dolby Prologic for simulated 5.1.  Just note that the decoder only has two inputs, one optical and one Coaxial so you will need either an optical or Coaxial switch box to hook up more than 2 audio components, TV, DVD, X-Box, Computer Etc.

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mike_M

Hi fee,

Most TV's have Audio out via red/white RCA connectors. A Y cable to join the RCA's to a 3.5mm female and then to the green input of the X-540 will work. Then use the Matrix to simulate 5.1. If no RCA's then there should be a 3.5mm headphone out.

Thank you for your post.

Logitech Customer Support for further assistance.
You can also Email Us

Regards,
Mike
Logi Nu
feedquentin

[ Edited ]

Jersey,

Thanks very much for the reply :smileyvery-happy:The AX360 looks quite promising indeed. My laptop does not have optical or coaxial output, however the AX360 appears to have a "G9 Adapter", which appears to convert the three 3.5mm sockets into a coaxial output.

The XBOX does also have a optical output socket, and so does the TV.

So what you suggest is that i use this setup...

TV           ---------------------- Optical Lead -------v

XBOX       ---------------------- Optical Lead ----- Optical Splitter -- AX360 Decoder -- X-540

LAPTOP  ---G9 Adapter -- Coaxial Lead ----------------------------------------^

I hope you can understand that. Is this correct?

The only problem I have with this setup is the Decoder aeppars to need a power supply by a wall socket, which would add to my already hazardous, wire covered floor...

Mike,

Thanks for your reply! My Samsung T220HD TV does infact have RCA sockets and a 3.5mm Socket, But for some reason when i have plugged the green jack from the speakers into the socket it just makes a very loud buzzing noise. But the Y cable to join the RCA's sounds like a good idea. Thanks :smileyhappy:

Are there any logitech speakers that have an Optical input? Because as I have said before the TV has an optical output. From what I've gathered the z5500 does have an optical input, but are there any others? (preferably a bit cheaper)

I'd be willing to sell on my X540 speakers and replace them with more expensive ones if it avoids the huge load of wires and adapters im going to need.

What I had in mind with the TV and an optical input speaker system was this:

(Xbox) -------<RCA Cables/HDMI Cable> --- (TV)

>------ <Optical Cable> ----- (Speaker system)

(Laptop)  --- <Audio cable> -------------------------(TV)

Would this work?

Thanks again guys for your help. Its much appreciated :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by feedquentin on 03-11-2009 04:04 AM
Message Edited by feedquentin on 03-11-2009 04:05 AM
Message Edited by feedquentin on 03-11-2009 04:05 AM
Logi Rook
Jersey

Feedquentin,

one question:  What is the source of your TV signal, cable box, computer with tv tuner?  

Ok, so---

If you are willing to buy a new set of speakers, then I truly recommend you get the Logitech Z-5500.  They have all of the connectivity you will ever need and a digital decoder to boot for Dolby 5.1 and DTS.  I believe X-box games are in dolby digital 5.1, you will really hear a difference with the Z-5500 connected via optical.  I have them and they are awesome. 

My set up is like this:

• Dell Laptop to Z-5500 via Coaxial

Using an optical splitter: 

• TV High Def Cable box to Z-5500 via Optical
  • DVD Player to Z-5500 via Optical

• Wii game system to Z-5500 via left/right RCA jacks to single 3.5mm jack wire into Z-5500 (Wii does not have digital out, and it games are only in stereo, but they still sound good and I could use Dolby Pro-logic movie or music mode in the Z-5500 if I want)

The Z-5500 also has an IR remote control which makes life real easy for switching between sources.

The X-540 and most analog 5.1 computer speakers are really not designed to connect multiple audio sources, you can do it but you have to get creative with your wiring.

Logi Nu
feedquentin

Thanks again Jersey :smileyhappy:

Im currently using a rubbish portable aerial to the TV, so I'm not getting digital from the inbedded dtuner at the moment and I'm waiting to get an aerial fitted.

I wasn't in need of surround sound for TV watching as I'm aware it won't have surround sound on ordinary TV. I just wanted it setup to the TV to bypass the small inbedded speakers which are just dead tinny!

But the Z5500 sounds swee! I'd rather not have more cables trailing around my room so it sounds like the best solution. 

I can flick between video sources using my remote on my TV, so i'll have to tape up the IR remote for the speakers to it for optimal performance :smileyvery-happy:

bring on next months pay check!

Logi Nu
MARTYSTERN

Hi i want to connect these speakers to my vizio 37" so i can use with my ps3 pc etc,at once,

im not good at all the cable lingo

this is the back of my tv,is it possible for me to connect this to it,not thru the pc input?

sv370xvt_rear_inputs.jpg

Logi Nu
LiamU

I'm currently waiting for the said speakers to come as i ordered them not long ago.

I was hoping to achieve 5.1 surround sound with these connecting them to my HDTV, is there anyway of my getting true 5.1?

If not is the matrix mode that, simulates 5.1, just as good as the real thing?

Thanks for any help :smileyhappy:

Logi Nu
Markh2001

Hey there basically i have these speakers http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LBHFMO/ref=oss_product and im wondering if i will be able to connect them using this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0020MLAFA/ref=oss_product to my lg tv which has no headphone jack! a reply would be most helpful, as i love these speakers and can't afford to buy new ones with an optical audio.

kind regards: Mark