Logi Nu
CRIMSONxSOLDIER

Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System hooked up to a TV. Please Help.

[ Edited ]

Okay, I saw that there was a previous thread about hooking up this system to your tv BUT I have a different inquery.

I have a 26in. Dynex LCD HDTV, but I also have my Xbox hooked up to that tv. Is there a way I can channel all audio on my tv to the speaker system? (preferably without having to buy new cables, but if I need to buy new/extra cables I will)(also I dont want to connect this sound system to my computer at all, just the TV)

I was thinking about using the headphone jack on the remote(for the volume, base, etc) and the headphone jack on the side of my TV. Im sure this will work but will it effect the sound quality? (I have a cable that has a headphone jack on either end)

Message Edited by CRIMSONxSOLDIER on 12-27-2008 10:11 PM
Logi Master
Astrallite

Re: Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System hooked up to a TV. Please Help.

Typically televisions automatically routes outputs the active audio channel through the RCA pre-outs (and also outputs audio through the TV speakers at the same time). You'll disable (if you want) the TV speakers via the audio menu selection "speakers: off".

As far as what you are doing, I'm not familiar with TVs with headphone jacks but if it works, it works. Sound quality? TV is never a good source regardless, I doubt it matters which output you use.

Just to add a bit to Astralite's post...TV broadcast sound is quite poor compared to just about any other source in the world. That includes the "5.1 Surround" accompanying HDTV. Broadcast is subject to a lot of loss.
Thank you for your post.

Logitech Customer Support for further assistance.
You can also Email Us

Regards,
Mike
Logi Nu
mudshark8

Similarly, I'm planning to hook up Z-5300 speakers to my HDTV.  I'm told that I need an adaptor that receives the three male mini-jacks from the speakers on one side and accepts two RCA leads on the other, which feed to the TV audio out jacks.  I doubt that it will give me true surround sound but as you say, TV audio is pretty weak anyway.  But I'm wondering if I need a "home theater" receiver, since the Z-5300s have their own amplifier?  In fact, how would it even work using two amps (i.e., with a receiver and the Z-5300s - I don't want to blow anything up).  And can the Z-5300s be hooked into a DVD player the same way as into a TV? 

Finally, what is "optical out" on a tv  - is it the same as "digital audio out", which my tv has, and is it of any use to me and my Z-5300s?  Bottom line in all this is I'm tryiing to save some money by using the Z-5300s as my home theater audio so I don't have to buy a receiver, speakers, etc. - but I'm hoping to get a decent sound out of it, too.

Thanks for any help!