eyc
Logi Nu
eyc

Re: S150 USB speakers still too loud

I am on Windows 7 Ultimate and have the exact same issue.  Regardless of what volume the speakers hard buttons are set at (e.g., lowest volume), if I put the Windows 7 volume up a single notch from mute, it is blaringly loud.  This is unacceptable.  How can there not be a fix yet?

Logi Nu
BoykoDmitriy

I have the same problem.

The level of the sound of Internet Radio i totally bad!  Winamp plays perfect!

Any clue how to change it?

Logi Nu
mjdenham

I have the problem using new S-150 speakers on a new Windows 7 installation.

I am wondering whether to return them and get some different speakers or wait for a fix from Logitech.

Logitech Support Support staff are you doing anything about this issue or shall we all return our S-150 speakers?  I can't believe nobody at Logitech plugged these speakers in before sending the design to production.

Logi Nu
Sodapop

Same problem here with the speakers I bought this morning... what a shame...

Nothing from the support team anymore then ?

I read somewhere that someone solved the problem with a registry tweak, but it was with XP... nothing for Windows 7 or even Vista...

Logi Nu
mgoblue62

I had the same problem with Windows 7.  Here's how I got around it (I know this is counterintuitive, but...)

1. Go to the volume mixer

2. Set the volume of the USB speaker to 100%

3. Set the volume of your source application (e.g., Media Center Extensibility Host, Windows Media Center) to a comfortable level

Logi Nu
SamuelBMorse

Thanks mgoblue62 - that works perfectly for my applications like iTunes!

At a setting of 100, I get a lot of white noise from the speakers, but it's acceptable at 80 and disappears at 70.

I think the application volume is relative to the speaker volume -I see a scale on the application volume and the range of that scale increases as I turn up the speaker volume. When we have our speaker volume at 1, there really is no way for the applications to adjust within that scale of 0-1 and that results in speakers being off or too loud.

Logi Nu
darktoylord

Just for the record, I have tried these speakers in XP, Vista and 7 and they are extremely loud on ALL platforms and DO NOT work perfectly in XP and 7 as stated in this post.

I have been buying Logitech products for about 15 years now and this is the first time that I have been disappointed. These speakers will not deter me from future purchases. I just wish Logitech had better quality control when it came to the design and manufacture of these products.

Logi Nu
RyanPrior

I'm having the same issue with my laptop on Windows 7 64, sounds like the OS doesn't matter. This is very frustrating and really not acceptable. The is the second out of the last 3 logitech products I have bought that have had a serious design flaw. I would think this could be solved with a driver that is specific to the device or something. I emailed logitech, I guess I will have to see what happens.

Logi Nu
Skippy77

I've owned the speakers for over a year now and just today solved the problem upon finding this thread. There's not a grand solution, but I have discovered a way to manipulate it sound settings to make it more agreeable. The problem lies within the way Windows7 / Vista communicates with the speakers through the software management side. Although Logitech could write a solution, it's just not ideal apparently. So here we go:

1. Adjust your system volume to 10-20 (not 1) by using the speaker adjustment on the bottom right corner of your windows screen.

2. Open up the sound mixer by clicking "mixer" with your volume adjustment screen up.

3. In the mixer turn everything else down to "1" or your desired level. The mixer tries to "contrast" the volume levels to the system volume. Thereby turning the system sound up and the mixer sound down you actually turn all the volume down. It's a small work around. But it's better than a big "No Solution" and will help you avoid unnecessary exchanges or returns.

After figuring out these adjustments, I've concluded that my frustrations with these speakers are no longer a concern. They're really decent and although Logitech could've come up with something better for a solution, this is still really decent. Just don't hate on the speakers because Logitech did a good job with them. In the end it's just a silly misunderstanding.

I hope this helps.

Logi Nu
RyanPrior

[ Edited ]

while I agree they are decent speakers, I don't agree that it's just a misunderstanding. The speakers have poor volume control. They are decent sounding, but the volume control on them garbage, simple as that.

Even if it's a Windows 7/Vista issue, Logitech should have their own driver to fix the problem. I doubt every pair of USB speakers has this problem. In fact, I own another, better pair of Logitech USB speakers that don't have this issue.