Logi Browser
SkOrPn

Z-5500's keep turning off constantly, why? Can I fix it myself?

Hello, I have a Z-5500 system that was purchased exactly one year ago for a Christmas gift. I used them only for my blu-ray player and my computer, but when the NFL season started I got myself a HDDVR from Comcast and hooked them up via Coax, since my Blu-ray player uses the Optical. My Computer uses the Directs, and the HDDVR uses the Coax. I started noticing almost imediately that the control pod would turn off (red light) and I would have to go to the process of turning it back on, but I always thought it was the HDDVR or a device from a neighbor interfering with it somehow. But a few weeks ago I had to take back the DVR for a new different brand DVR and it still does it, and I want to say its even worse now.

So, do these Z-5500's have a problem with their coax not detecting a signal? The reason I ask is cuz the sound went out a few days ago but the unit stayed on with the words, "No Signal Detected" on the pods screen. This makes me believe it isnt detecting the signal somehow and turning off. But most of the time it just turns off instantly for no aparent reason, and does so multiple times a day, up to dozens a times a day.

Is there a fix for this? Or do I have a defective unit?

Thanks in advance,

SkOrPn

p.s. this unit also has the non-glowing screen issue as well.

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mike_M

Re: Z-5500's keep turning off constantly, why? Can I fix it myself?

Hi,

The cable doesn't make the analog content digital.

This has been discussed here ad infinitum. TV broadcast signals are not all decoded in surround, nor are the broadcast signals reliable.

If there is an interruption in the surround audio signal either from a variation in the actual signal or if the ciontent switches from surround to stereo, the decoder in the Z-5500 control pod cannot repair the signal.

If there are enough interruptions the decoder will lock up.

This is not a defect, because this does not happen with a DVD encoded in surround sound.

Thank you for your post.

Logitech Customer Support for further assistance.
You can also Email Us

Regards,
Mike
Logi Browser
SkOrPn

That's pretty much what I was thinking too. So, is your diagnoses that the Z-5500's are not the ideal solution for Cable TV boxes? Should I just use the TV's internal speakers instead? I have a Logitech Harmony remote (I love Logitech products), so I think I could possibly program it to use the TV speakers when watching TV only. I never see the speakers turn off with the directs or even my Samsung BD-P1600 blu-ray player, at least I can't remember them turning off in these modes.

Thanks for any further help or advice you can provide.

Best Regards,

Rod

Logi Nu
Chanty

so Does the Z5500 Works on a  Samsung BD-P1600 or will i have to get other stuff also to make a z5500 working on it i ask because im thinking of buying a Z5500 for my Blue Ray Player

Logi Browser
SkOrPn

The Z-5500's work great with my BD-P1600, I just use the optical connection for my Bluray player, the co-ax for my Cable box, and the 6-channel directs from my computer sound card. Works great if ya dont want to add a A/V unit to the mix. But it would be better if Logitech would update their audio speakers to work with formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio via all its connections.

Logi Master
Astrallite

SkOrPn wrote:

The Z-5500's work great with my BD-P1600, I just use the optical connection for my Bluray player, the co-ax for my Cable box, and the 6-channel directs from my computer sound card. Works great if ya dont want to add a A/V unit to the mix. But it would be better if Logitech would update their audio speakers to work with formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio via all its connections.

Almost no sound cards have HDMI connections...and only 1 sound card currently supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master...the Asus HDAV 1.3...does not seem to be much demand on the PC side for HD sound.