Logi Browser
syunukiya

matrix mode or getting a 2.1?

i recently heard about matrix mode and that you wont get true surround with for example z506 when you plugged it into the TV. So i'm thinking am I better off with a 2.1 (z523, z623) since I'm using the tv and mostly playing avi files thru usb? Or matrix mode 5.1 is still better.

just for clarification 5.1 matrix will just send all sounds on 5 speakers and true surround will play background on rear, right?

Logi Apprentice
zcinema123

Re: matrix mode or getting a 2.1?

i'd pick the Z623 over the Z506 since you don't have true surround sound. the matrix mode basically just invert the front phase into the rear that means only the background sound will play in the rear speakers. considering the hassle of geting 5.1 and the fact that similarly priced 2.1 is better than 5.1 (in this case), i would opt for the 2.1

Logi Browser
syunukiya

i thought the matrix mode in 506 will make all 5 speakers sounding the same (front and rear)? it seems that the z623 is expensive similarly priced to samsung ht.. but yeah if ill be using avi file movies they wont have true surround right, so i will be wasting samsung ht too, right?

Logi Apprentice
zcinema123

well technically avi doesn't support surround sound although i've seen some avi files with 5.1 dolby digital data in them. matrix mode is not copy mode (aka stereo x2) it will not copy the front to the rear. no idea about samsung ht, i only got cheap philips ht and it doesnt sound good at music. movies are rather acceptable.

Logi Browser
syunukiya

okay then if that's the case, what is true surround then? and  how far off the difference with matrix mode and true surround?

Logi Apprentice
zcinema123

true surround in which the movies contain discrete 6-channels audio. normal video files (i.e. youtube etc) only carries 2-channel sound that is left and right.

using 6-channels audio, you can really feel the effect of the surround sound. for example if you're watching shooting scene, you can hear the sound travels from the front speakers to the rear or vice versa. if you're watching a movie with heavy dialogue, the dialogue will be most played in center channel. so the sound is not mixed with the ambience noise. and lots more of exciting effects.

if you have the space and the movies (with 6-channels audio), i would recommend you getting 5.1 for movies purpose. if your movies are only stereo and you hardly have the space, i would stick with a 2.1 system.

Logi Browser
syunukiya

ah so matrix just put the sound effect in the rear, but true surround moves the sound on all speakers. is it noticable difference? i mean is matrix bad compared to true surround?

Logi Apprentice
zcinema123

[ Edited ]

well obviously it is bad because there is no information for the rear channel. it basically just gives you the background sound effect so it appears as the sound envelops around you. it's your call though. i personally will pick 2.1 over a matrixed 5.1 anyday.

if you're watching action-packed movies, there is significant difference. if you're watching some drama, you can save the hassle and get 2.1 instead. really, no point getting 5.1 if you're only using its matrix mode. you can get a much better 2.1 with the same money.

Logi Browser
syunukiya

very informative reply! thank you so much!!

let's see.. i was supposed to get samsung ht-350 but yeah the files i play are avi format (700mb, they're already clear btw) and i think most of them are 2.1 anyways. for true surround i'll probably just use my xbox since i think that's my only device that i think will use true surround and i dont have dvd movies. so i think i will opt for z523 or z623