Logi Nu
KA3AXCTAH

Re: z-5450 rear speaker troubleshooting

HAMISHI IS THE KING OF FLASHING RED PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

Now my REAR LEFT speaker is working again I just replaced one capacitor and put one with 100uF 16V. It took only 10 minutes!!! **bleep** I love u dude : )

GREAT JOB HAMISHI THX VERY MUCH !!!!

Logi Browser
dariocs

Hi everybody,

I'm also having trouble with my right rear speaker (which of course is widely out of warranty). It has started doing an annoying crackling sound randomly. The LED is still blue, but I have read in some posts that such behaviour could be a first step to get the fateful blinking light. In addition, I'm afraid the crackle can damage the speaker cones. I followed the instructions published by hamishi on Nov. 4, 2006 to open the unit succesfully. I didn't found anything abnormal, but I decided to sent the unit to a qualified technician, just to check the power sourde outputs. This way, I also wanted to discard the possibility of a radio interference at home.

The technician found the power source OK: capacitors were in good condition, and all outputs were stable. According to the technician, power source problems cause more continuous noises, instead of those random crackles. After checking the weldings and other components in the receiver/amplifier board, he suspects that the noise is caused by a malfunction in the amplifier integrated circuit. He applied a cold spray because he felt the unit was too hot, and the crackles ceased for a while. Then, after returning the unit to me, the noises are here again (and seem that they are to stay... :smileyvery-happy: )

The problem is always the same: it's impossible to know which model of integrated circuit is that amplifier, even when almost for sure is an standard component. That could help to solve the failure, but Logitech doesn't sell every kind of spare parts: only fuses, antennas, plugs, and other minor (no matter how useful can be) components. At least that's what I can see in the web...

The unit is not produced anymore... Since Logitech doesn't have an official proper technical service (I mean, a repair shop, not a call center), at least in my country, I think it would be a good gesture to provide me (and others having the same problem) with the list of components used in this unit (or even just that circuit model!). I will not understand that this is classified information nor company secret, because among other reasons, the unit is old, out of production, and it was QUITE expensive. And, correct me if I'm wrong, Logitech doesn't produce wireless speakers of this configuration anymore, so that should not affect Logitech's technological capacity. I think we customers deserve a solution after having spent more than four hundred Euros in such a "high-end" model (at least talking about home computer market... :smileyvery-happy:).

This is typical nowadays, ladies and gentlemen. Most electronic products of every brand are designed with very limited margins, with short life expectancy, not intended to be repaired (e.g. this unit was bolted but also glued!), they reach pretty high temperatures when working, with unreliable power sources, and sometimes (although this is not the case) they are manufactured without any kind of quality control. It's a shame in general. During years I've been buying Logitech products because they were well built and reliable, and I hoped to be out of these problems, but this has severely disappointed me.

Please, if a moderator reads this message, I would like him/her to consider this proposal. I don't want to have a beautiful but lame 5.1 THX sound system...

Best regards

Logi Nu
hamishi

Dear All,

Thanks for all the flowers I received from you all.

It is nice to see that it helped all of people to solve their problems.

Unfortunately my camera was not available at the time I posted the reply so I could not put a picture of the particular part of the powersupply board.

Regards,

Hamishi

Logi Nu
PapaGut

Just adding to the growing number of people that repaired this themselves. The capacitor replacement immediately solved the problem for me too. 

Thanks for the fix!

Logi Nu
SuperHerman

Hi, Transistor Q1 has the Label 2x in my speakers, this seems to be a 2n4401 standard NPN Transistor. It should be possible to replace it with almost any standard NPN with similar ratings. The Power Amplifier is a class-D type. Number: TDA8922bth Greetings
Logi Browser
dariocs

Thanks a lot for the detailed info on the power amplifier, SuperHerman. I have just ordered a replacement of the same type, I hope this will solve my particular problem.

Greetings to all

Logi Browser
SergioHW

In case of interest I have a Power supply board spare and I trying to buy the WiFI receiver mounted on the second board from the supplier in China. If anybody have broken Radio Frequency part please let me know.Bye Joe

Logi Browser
dariocs

Hello SergioHW,

I've just replaced the amplifier integrated circuit with a brand new one, but it didn't work: I still hear loud crackles when I turn the speakers on. To sum up, according to the technician, the power source is OK, and also the amplifier. So my problem seems to be due to a malfunction in the WiFi/RF module. For that reason I would be interested in a radio module as well... Who is that chinese supplier? Can you help me?

Cheers

Logi Browser
NightLight

Hi Dariocs,

Replace all the caps on the amp board first b4 you go replacing the rf board.

There are'nt that many and I reckon it'll solve your problem.

hth

Night...

Logi Browser
dariocs

Thanks a lot NightLight,

Then I'm gonna check those capacitors. I hope you are right, it's always better than replacing the complete RF module...