Logi Browser
clixby

Pandora stops playing randomly

I've been having some problems recently with Pandora stopping after a few songs (sometimes 3, sometimes 15).  I have a Radio as well as the Receiver.  Both have the same issue.  The web UI and the Android app display "PANDORA_" when this happens.  I've read a number of posts online about this same problem but nothing I've found is recent.  They reference an SSL Timeout, but when I capture the traffic from the device going out to the Internet there is a valid completion of the TCP session, and nothing to iniatiate a new connection from the device.

Anyone else having this problem?  Any recommendations on where to look for the problem?  Music from my library does not seem to have any issue, it's just Pandora.  All the tests show my Internet connection is fine, and other streaming services (or pandora played on my laptop) seem to be fine.

Logi Nu
milky

Re: Pandora stops playing randomly

I am having the same exact problem.  Mutiple players, only with Pandora.  Very frustrating.  Would love to know how to resolve this.  Looks like there is a long thread from back in March found here:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MySqueezebox-com-Squeezebox/Pandora-freezes-on-Squeezebox-Touch/td-p/8...

But I don't see that they actually solved anything.

Logi Browser
clixby

It should be noted that while my Radio is on wireless, my Receiver is not, so I don't believe it's a wireless issue.  

Logi Nu
woodp

It's not just Pandora - I'm having the same problem with Slacker streamed content. Local mp3s play fine but streamed content just stops periodically.

In my case, the stopping usually occurs at the end of an advertisement, and less frequently at the end of a song. It *never* drops out in the middle of a song.

For me, the problem started about a week ago and nothing about my network (or presumably Comcast's network) changed prior to the periodic stops.

Logi Nu
milky

I don't think advertisements have anything to do with it as I have the paid service and no ads, and I'm having the same issue.  It started for me about a week ago as well.  It's only Pandora (I don't use Slacker) for me, digitally imported works fine and my local media works fine as well.  I had two players synchronized last night playing Pandora and I noticed that when it failed on the SB Radio it displayed a 504 gateway error.

Logi Browser
clixby

I've done some traffic analysis on my LAN to try to figure out what's going on here. The squeezebox endpoints have two conversations going on.. one transaction that stays constant back to the LMS server, and another connection out to Pandora. The pandora connection is not persistent, and makes a new request for each song. The content of the control messages back and forth between the LMS and the receiver are not obvious. I checked the logs of the LMS, but nothing seems too terribly out of the ordinary.

Then I checked the communication on the LMS itself. It appears that there are constant control messages between the LMS and mysqueezebox.com. There seems to be sync messages going on quite frequently (between 15-30 seconds by my small sample size). But this is also where the LMS gets the next Pandora track. It uses HTTP to get the information from mysqueezebox, and must relay the pandora URL to the squeezebox device on the LAN. Here is the communication:

Initial request from the LMS:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GET /api/pandora/v1/playback/getNextTrack?stationId=140265127863450871 HTTP/1.0 
Connection: close 
Cache-Control: no-cache 
Accept: text/x-json, text/xml 
Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip 
Accept-Language: en 
Accept-Language: en 
Host: www.mysqueezebox.com 
User-Agent: iTunes/4.7.1 (Linux; N; Debian; i686-linux; EN; utf8) SqueezeCenter, Squeezebox Server, Logitech Media Server/7.7.2/33893 
Cookie: sdi_squeezenetwork_session=632352%3AaDymREzgreYp9eLw8fyn0Wa%2FvmQ 
Cookie2: $Version="1" 
Icy-Metadata: 1 
X-Player-DeviceInfo: 7:77 
X-Player-MAC: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
X-Player-Model: receiver 
X-Player-Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
X-Player-UUID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Response from mysqueezebox:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
HTTP/1.1 200 OK 
Server: nginx/1.2.5 
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 02:38:49 GMT 
Content-Length: 1753 
Cache-Control: no-cache 
Set-Cookie: sdi_squeezenetwork_session=632352%3AaDymREzgreYp9eLw8fyn0Wa%2FvmQ; path=/; expires=Thu, 19-Dec-2013 02:38:49 GMT 

{"canSkip":1,"itunesSongUrl":"http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=FLenzF8lvbI&offerid=78941&type=3&subid=0&tmpid=1826&RD_P...","artistName":"Counting Crows","amazonAlbumAsin":"B00002JXF8","albumArtUrl":"http://cont-dc6-1.pandora.com/images/public/amz/6/2/5/1/606949041526_500W_500H.jpg","artistDetailUrl":"http://www.pandora.com/counting-crows?dc=88&ad=1:36:1:22302::2:0:0:0:511:015:VA:51059:1:0:0:0","songName":"Colorblind","amazonSongDigitalAsin":"B000W0YOUA","trackToken":"514f022a7ba1c8354eca1cf87966163992e32223a234429c8d79b43f7462c0bca7eb324f4685641faf87193394d0e0d91247fb2d82a97497c32ce9f8e0513bec","allowFeedback":true,"audioUrl":"http://t1-2.p-cdn.com/access/8273132398905603286?version=4&lid=11336951&token=1HD6qEhHogNx9z1VZv0%2F...

In this transaction, everything worked perfectly (other than the song choice :smileyhappy:). However, a while later, the response back was not quite as good:

HTTP/1.1 504 Gateway Time-out 
Server: nginx/1.2.5 
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 03:52:57 GMT 
Content-Type: text/html 
Content-Length: 182 

<html> 
<head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head> 
<body bgcolor="white"> 
<center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center> 
<hr><center>nginx/1.2.5</center> 
</body> 
</html> 

I had previously been under the impression that the gateway timeout error was a local problem, which is why I've torn my network apart trying to figure out why the squeezeboxes couldn't reach the gateway. But it's actually a valid reply from the server saying that the mysqeezebox.com server couldn't reach the gateway. I was not able to reproduce the 'PANDORA_' error I routinely get while listening (Murphy's law at work again), but I'm quite sure if I did I'd get an similar error reporting back from the http GET from my LMS.

I'll confirm and report back. The trouble is, since it's a problem "in the cloud", I don't know that I'll be able to do anything. It's also extremely odd to me that some people see this much more frequent than others. Hopefully someone from logitech can shed some light on the issue.

Logi Nu
ZBIRD

Hello,

I've been having the exact same problem for the past 2-3 months right down to the "PANDORA_" on my Squeezebox Classic display. I have opened up numerous support tickets with Logitech regarding this issue. They seem to be aware of the problem but aren't able to tell me when it will be resolved. I've spoken with Pandora and they have indicated that it's a Logitech problem. My connection is an ethernet connection and I have tried everything to resolve this issue including uninstalling and re-installing the software, factory resets, firmware updates, and I have even tried using earlier versions of the LMS software like 7.0.0 but with no luck. This exact same problem persists and I'm hopeful that Logitech will resolve it in the near term. I've been using the Squeezebox Classic to stream Pandora since 2005 and have never had a single problem until the past 2-3 months. Logitech can you please help me / us? Thanks.

Logi Browser
clixby

zbird - are you good now?  I've been solid since yesterday, and a few other folks over on the slimdevices forum report the same.  Looks like logitech may have fixed the issue?

Logi Nu
ZBIRD

Clixby,

Let me try to stream Pandora today and see what happens. Thank you so much for the heads-up!

-ZBIRD

Logi Nu
ZBIRD

Clixby,

Today is the first day in aprox 3 months that I have been able to stream Pandora with no stops whatsoever! Not a single stop the entire day. Christmas has come a few days early this year. I'd like to thank you for your efforts as well as the folks at Slim Devices / Logitech for fixing this very annoying problem. I can once again enjoy streaming Pandora while using my Squeezebox Classic. Life is good!

THANKS!!!

-ZBIRD