04-14-2012 03:27 AM
Hello, hope someone can help me here.
My SB Touch has stopped working after I upgraded Logitech Media Server to version 7.7.2 recently. When I turn the SB on it says it can't connect to the server.
I've checked the server control panel and on the 'Status' tab there's an error message at the top in red stating 'You don't have privileges to install or start/stop the Logitech Media Server background service. Please start the control panel from the Windows Start Menu, via the right click context menu, and click "Run as Administrator".'
I've done what it suggested and it doesn't make any difference - I still just get the same error when LMS loads.
I've tried uninstalling LMS and reinstalling it but that hasn't fixed it.
I'm running it in Wndows 7 if that's significant.
Thanks in advance for any help.
04-14-2012 05:53 AM
I am not certain of why you are having this issue. If it were me I would try a factory reset by pressing and holding the tiny button on the back until you see the message "Factory Settings Restored"
04-14-2012 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's a problem with the device though. The error I see is on the Logitech Media Server Control Panel on my PC, not on the device. And this has happened only since I upgraded LMS to 7.7.2 on the PC, I haven't upgraded any firmware on the device for some time.
Sorry if it wasn't clear in my initial post.
04-14-2012 06:15 PM
I have not used 7.7.2. I am using 7.7.1 after using 7.5.3 for quite awhile. You might try here at the unofficial forum which gets more activity.
I find 7.7.1 a clear upgrade to the earlier versions. Looking through the advanced settings I do not see anything you might have set incorrectly. The guys at the other forum will probably be able to help
04-16-2012 05:47 PM
what version did you upgrade from ? I use 7.7.1 and have no problems. I realize it's a pain when te software does not work how you expect it to. There are so many variables that people have in how they set up their system it is often hard to put a finger on what is the problem. And then you have folks like me wo a lot of expertise trying to help.
What do info we need to help these folks out ?
04-17-2012 12:51 PM
Sometimes during the software update the previous files do not get removed/edited correctly causing crashed and errors, the first thing to do when getting crash errors with the Logitech Media Server is too do a complete clean install.
To do so you want to:
- first we want to stop the server and exit out of it via the system tray
- next we want to uninstall it as you would any program via the control panel with the "uninstall a program" option.
- from here we need to sweep for the existing files and folders in your C:/ drive.
*select start menu > go to computer > Local Disk C:/ > from here we want to go into "program files" and "program data" and clear out any existing squeezebox and (LogitechMediaServer) files.
(if you cannot see program data you need to unhide it by selecting "Organize" in the upper left > "folder and search options" > view > and check the radial button for "show hidden files and folders" in the list.)
once that is done reinstall the LMS 7.7.2 software from here:
Let me know how that goes?
Product Support Page | Product Download Page | Phone Support | Product Manuals | Warranty Info | Rebate Status/Info
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
04-17-2012 01:41 PM - edited 04-17-2012 01:42 PM
Thanks for the reply Logan, but that didn't fix it. The only residual files I found after I did the uninstall were in folder Programs (x86). There was a folder there called Squeezebox that had the Squeeze Tray application so I deleted that manually. I couldn't find anything left behind in the Program Data folder.
When I reinstalled 7.7.2 it all looked fine to start with, and the control panel loaded OK with no error on the Status tab. I closed the server and control panel down and reopened it several times and it still loaded OK. However, when I then closed it down and restarted my PC, the next time I ran LMS, the privileges error was back as described in my original post.
I've now uninstalled 7.7.2 and have reinstalled version 7.7.1, which is running fine.
I don't know where this leaves you now, but it seems like a bug in 7.7.2 to me.