Logi Nu
boulderskier

webcam mic cuts out when using Skype

[ Edited ]
Recently, I have begun experiencing an audio problem when using Skype. Shortly after connecting with someone the audio cuts in and out. I have the QuickCam Communicate STX and I am using Skype (v3.6) I typically use an older Dell Dimension system but I have the same problem when I installed it onto my Core Duo laptop (Inspiron 9400). I try to keep all my software up to date either with automatic updates or manual updates every few weeks.

I have been using the Logitech webcam hardware and Skype for the past 9 or 10 months. I have only experienced the audio problem in the last few weeks or month or so. Prior to that the webcam and skype were working flawlessly together. I cannot recall if is started after a specific update but is not fixed by installing the most up-to-date versions of either Skype or QuickCam.

Here's is what I have determined. The webcam works fine when recording audio and/or video onto the hard drive. The video works fine in Skype. When using Skype and the mic that is built into the Logitech webcam the audio cuts in and out shortly after a connection is made. If I plug a stand alone mic into my machine and use that with the webcam the audio returns to working fine.

Alas, it appears to me to be an issue with either a recent update to the QuickCam software or drivers or Skype, or how they work together. Unfortunately, I don't feel that the problem is truly Logitech's issue but I hope that if other are experiencing the same problem a solution can be found.

Here's a little more info about my system:
Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX
Logitech Quickcam Software v11.5.0.1169
Mic & Camera driver dated: 10/11/2007 v11.5.0.1145
Skype v3.6.0.244
Dell Dimension 8200
Windows XP Pro (service Pack 2)
Pentium 4, 1.70 GHz w/ 256 MB ram

P.S. this issue sounds similar to the one posted by Moranb but I can't be certain if it is the same (http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=video_clients&thread.id=6824)

Message Edited by Pegasus on 02-10-2008 11:40 AM
KachiWachi
Topics: 251
Kudos: 1,260
Solutions: 500

Re: webcam mic cuts out when using Skype

[ Edited ]
Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum boulderskier! :smileyhappy:

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=video_clients&message.id=2611

Thanks.

Edit - Fix Typo.

Message Edited by KachiWachi on 01-19-2009 08:20 AM

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
robertal

I am experiencing the same problem. Using Skype I am trying to do a video chat with some one using the logitech STX cam. Their communication cuts in and out. I am using the logitech pro 5000 and they can hear me with no issue. I have also used skype with someone that has the logitech pro 5000 on the other end with no issue. I believe that something is going on with the STX software.
KachiWachi

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum robertal! :smileyhappy:

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=video_clients&message.id=2611

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
fireopalman

I and 2 others here are having the same problem. It has occured with 3 different types of webcam - all the sphere types, on Windows Vista and particularly Windows 7. All with SKYPE - all other products I have tried work with the SKYPE. The camera video wotks fine its only the audio microphone that consistently fails.

It occurs, at random intervals but almost every time after a SKYPE phone call.

SKYPE software has been deleted and re-installed three times.

I have determined that the computer can no longer see the webcam microphone.

FIX - Unplug the web cam and plug it in again - It is immediately seen again, can be selected in SKYPE and all works. 

In fact all  is well till next time - Bl**dy anoying.

I have contacted Logitec on 3 occasions each time I am told to delete the drivers and download new ones - have done that 3 times -It  never fixes it.

I am unable to get anything else from Logitec and they seem to refuse to accept that there is a problem with the combination of logitech and SKYPE so I am glad to see others do have the same problem and its not just my system.

KachiWachi

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum fireopalman! :smileyhappy:

1) What is the 8xxxxx (or 860-xxxxxx) series number from the camera's identification tag (FAQ #3427), or preferably... the USB\VID ID?

2) Which version of the Logitech supplied QuickCam software application/drivers is installed (FAQ #5105)?

3) Does this issue occur when you are using the camera in the Logitech supplied QuickCam software application (i.e., to create still images and/or videos), or only in your third-party Instant Messenger program?

Thanks.

* Thanks.