Logi Browser
hbrooks

Camera In Use By Another Application

Sorry the last post came through blank.

I am very frustrated because the camera will not work.  I receive the 'Camera In Use By Another Application' every time. I have tried everything. What I was wondering is it possible to use another software (ie: not Logitech) with the webcam to get it to work. I have the Quickcam Pro 4000 and a Windows XP platform.  Thanks for any input!

Logi Nu
jgibson

Re: Camera In Use By Another Application

Do you have windows explorer open when trying to use your webcam? If so Windows XP enumerates the device as a preview display device in the My Computer|Explorer window?

Logi Browser
hbrooks

I hope this does not sound like a stupid question but when you say "windows explorer open" do you mean a web page?  If so then the answer is no and if that is not what you meant can you elaborate.  Thank you!
Logi Nu
jgibson

Some device on your computer is using the driver related to your camera. Basically something is saying hey you can't use this camera right now because I am using it. Windows Explorer is the windows file manager, the place where you can see the drive letters for the computer i.e. A drive or C drive. On windows xp the the windows explorer window can also create an icon for your webcam device usually labeling it Logitech Webcam at teh bottom of the drive list. If you have the windows explorer filemanager open, and the display device is there it may using the webcam. If it is no other program will be able to use the webcam. If you have everything closed and cannot view your webcam device, try a different usb port, one above or below the one you are using, preferrably on a different hub i.e. front of back instead of next to.

The goal you have to find out is what is holding onto my webcam's driver and not letting me use it. Good luck...
Logi Browser
hbrooks

Thanks I figured out what you were referring to.  It was not a problem but still did not work. Then I changed to all of the usb ports available and nothing.  Thank you for your advice.  I appreciated it.
KachiWachi
Topics: 251
Kudos: 1,261
Solutions: 503

Welcome to the new Logitech Forums hbrooks! :smileyhappy:

Version of the QuickCam software that you installed? When asked to plug in the camera by the software, did you get an image in the "preview" window?

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Browser
hbrooks

I have tried installing both the 8.2.0 that came with the camera and the 8.4.8. that is listed on the website. The picture that I receive when I plug in the camera is that it is in use by another application. Sometimes (but only for a brief moment) I get a picture of 2 hands touching meaning that the camera is connnected and working but that only last about 1 second.
KachiWachi

What USB Controllers are on the system, and are you using the latest drivers for them?

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Browser
hbrooks

I know how to check the drivers in the hardware section to see what i have (?) but how do I go about checking to see if I have the latest drivers?  I am pretty good with the computer but with the much more technical stuff it takes me a little more time. But if you explain I can easily figure out  :smileyhappy:
KachiWachi

For now, just list what make USB Controllers you have. Thanks.

* Thanks.