Logi Nu
x12Networks

Embed in HTML

Greetings Folks,

I have been searching around for a simplistic way to embed a quickcam into a webpage. All I really need is so when a user goes to this specific page, the cam loads, and the user can click a button to take a picture of whatever the cam is looking at.

I would like to be able to take that image and have it submit to another HTML page as in a form of some sort, but I can work on that later. I'm not too concerned if it's a flash applet that can do this, or I can do it with Javascript, or some other API. The backend of the webpages would be PHP.

Does anyone have suggestions of code snippets or some way to make this work?

Disclaimer, I am a developer and will be putting this into a commercial web application, so I do need to worry about licenses and such if those apply.
KachiWachi
Topics: 246
Kudos: 1,191
Solutions: 485

Re: Embed in HTML

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum x12Networks! :smileyhappy:

Since you are looking for "Developer" information, please visit the QuickCam® Team website. If you sign up, please put a link in your new post that references your initial posting here.

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Apprentice
seriesrover2

[ Edited ]
Are we talking everything local here? ie. the user navigates to a web page on the local computer to look at a camera attached to the local computer?

If so, look here - you need to create an Active X object (C++ or C#) that uses DirectShow to talk to the camera :
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/audio-video/#Audio%20&%20Video%20-%20Video

If you want to look at a camera on a remote machine (ie. on a web server somewhere else) its not *quite* as simple as you'd like I'm afraid. In this case you need to do some server side scripting of one sort or another, or use some set of existing tools which I pressume exists.

Both these problems have been solved but its not quite as trivial as you would like.

----

Actually, you mention a web app; I believe Adobe AIR and Flash have ways of controlling webcams.

Message Edited by seriesrover2 on 07-30-2008 07:39 PM

Message Edited by Pegasus on 07-31-2008 09:16 AM
Logi Nu
x12Networks

First off, to KachiWachi: I will check it out, thank you very much.

Scenario: Server is Ubuntu with Apache & PHP. A user browses to a page with a camera "picture-taker" of some sort is embedded. The quickcam is attached to the USER computer. They put the object in the camera field of view, click a button to take the shot, and all that data is submitted to the database.

My initial thoughts were to get a Flash applet that will allow the USER's quickcam to be used, and in theory, the picture would be client-side in a temp folder, and when submitted, would be uploaded to the server.

I suppose I am curious if this is possible, and if anyone has done it. Course, now that I am thinking it, posting this in the Developer section probably makes more sense, but I will link it back to here. :smileyhappy:
Logi Apprentice
seriesrover2

So first off, yes completely possible - did it years ago. So in a sense the browser is inconsequential - you *could* use a small app for instance but obviously this is one piece in a bigger project.

You need to look into writing an Active X control (C++ or C#), use the in HTML pointing to the Active X control, and some javascript to hook up to your button to tell the control to save current image to disk.

The Active X control uses DirectShow to enumerate Video devices and start them running. You need to create an interface in the Active X control something like "SaveFrameToDisk()" that the javascript calls.

Alternatively, look at Adobe AIR and Flash if you want to stick with web technologies - I'm pretty sure it has camera control of some sort.
KachiWachi
Topics: 246
Kudos: 1,191
Solutions: 485

x12Networks sez -

Course, now that I am thinking it, posting this in the Developer section probably makes more sense, but I will link it back to here.

OK.

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS