Logi Nu
kropes

What webcam does portrait mode ?

[ Edited ]
I need a webcam that does portrait mode.

what one do i get ?

the "specs" on most of the cams i have looked at (not just logitechs) are filled with marketing crap and not actually the capabilities of what the camera can do.

ps.  it does not even have to be a logitech camera.  i dont care who's it is i jsut need several that do portrait mode

Message Edited by kropes on 03-28-2008 06:26 PM
KachiWachi
Topics: 251
Kudos: 1,257
Solutions: 500

Re: What webcam does portrait mode ?

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum kropes! :smileyhappy:

Please read my personal welcome thread (ALL POSTERS -- How to get the most from KachiWachi and this forum) as we progress. Thank you.

Please define "portrait mode" as referenced to your application.

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
kropes

[ Edited ]
ok......

portrait mode:
most computer screens, cameras, etc... by default display in LANDSCAPE mode. meaning the picture is wider than it is tall. 800x600 1024x768, 640x480. all are references to landscape mode where the first number represents width, the second height.

we are making photo ID's. all photo IDs need to be printed with the picture as a portrait, not landscape. most poeoples heads are taller tahn they are wide, not wider than they are tall.

i need a webcam that can take the photo were the image is taller than it is wide. 600x800. portrait mode.

Message Edited by kropes on 03-28-2008 03:51 PM

Message Edited by Pegasus on 03-28-2008 10:03 PM
KachiWachi

[ Edited ]
I asked you to define "portrait mode" as referenced to your application.

Most webcams that I am aware of will not do portrait mode, but you can rotate or crop the image afterwards using software.

Is this acceptable, or is your software looking to capture an image directly from the camera?

Thanks.

Edit - Fix typo.

Message Edited by KachiWachi on 03-30-2008 01:10 PM

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
kropes

Portrait mode is portrait mode. There is only one portrait mode regardless of software, hardware, cameras, printers, etc... that I have ever heard of.

I designed the software. We are only interested in head shots. Landscape mode has a lot of wasted space on the sides.

Capturing directly to portrait mode is the best. We have at minimum 8,000 photo ID's to make over the next year and having to rotate and/or crop every photo is way to time consuming. If it takes just 3 minutes per photo to load it, rotate it, crop it, save it, etc... etc... that's 24,000 minutes minimum. Or 10 weeks of just cropping photos. plus for the average person that will be running the photo ID stations, this is too much to try to teach them just to get them to take a picture and print it out.

The simplest way is to take the photo (portrait mode) and upload it to the software (which the software can do automtically). End of task.

I was using regular digital cameras with "PC-cam mode" meaning that it gives a direct feed to the computer when the data cable is plugged in. Sit the camera on a tripod and rotate it 90 degrees. Snap the photo (it shows on the computer), upload the photo. Done. The last camera.... The USB port on the camera broke. (it fell while plugged in and snapped) so I have to find a replacement. I am finding it hard to read through all of the "specs" (mostly marketing crap) to see if the camera will actually support PC-camera mode. Most of the specs talk about anything but specifications. I have a $50 camera that will do it. I have a $500 camera that will not. In fact, most of the high end cameras I have bought will not support PC-cam mode. The last camera I purchased, a 5 mega pixel vivitar for $90, does have PC-cam mode, but the "specs" didn't tell us that the camera gets crippled when it is plugged in to the data cable so that you can NOT get 5 mega pixels and it only produces an image res of 240x320 pixels. Now why would they design something so idiotic ? What's the point ?

Not trying to be sarcastic, but I cant believe that web cams cant do this and that in 15 years of web use no one has asked for a portrait mode web cam.

I need a camera, that has this PC-cam mode, and can do at least 640x480. Or a web cam that can do portrait mode.
KachiWachi

Unfortunately, Logitech does not market a camera that will satisfy your needs.

If you find a camera that does, please report this information back to the forum.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks.

* Thanks.