Logi Nu
fpatton

Conflicts with MIDI driver

Hi,

I just purchased a Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Deluxe. I downloaded the latest drivers from the website, and the camera seems to work fine. However, my USB/MIDI cable no longer works! This is a generic cable (Viewcon chip) that provides 2 MIDI connectors from the USB port. It makes use of a standard Microsoft driver. My system would recognize that the MIDI device was there, but not make the MIDI ports available.

I uninstalled the Logitech drivers, and now the MIDI cable works. But, I really need the camera to work too. Any idea what could be causing the conflict, and how it might be solved?

My system:

Compaq Presario V2210 laptop, AMD Turion, Windows XP Pro, 1.2GB RAM

Thanks!

Fred
KachiWachi
Topics: 251
Kudos: 1,261
Solutions: 503

Re: Conflicts with MIDI driver

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum fpatton! :smileyhappy:

There was an issue a while back having to do with a MIDI keyboard that would stop working.

The solution was to update to the manufacturers MIDI drivers for this device, even though "class" drivers were already on the system.

Is the camera on a separate USB Controller, or doesn't it matter where you plug things in?

Version of QuickCam that is installed?

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
fpatton

The drivers were 10.0.0, build 1439, downloaded Thursday or so. My laptop has three USB 2.0 ports, and I had the camera plugged into one of them. The MIDI cable didn't work in any of the ports. The only combination I didn't try was the camera and the MIDI cable plugged in at the same time. Thanks for your help!

Fred
Logi Nu
fpatton

I should also add that there are no "manufacturer's drivers" for this device. They claim that the drivers are built into the device, but I suspect that just means that they know all Windows XP machines have the correct driver. So there's nothing to download, although I did look. I also tried installing drivers from a cable that I suspected used the same chipset, but no luck.

Fred
KachiWachi

I'm afraid all I can tell you is what I already have. :smileysad:

If you need more assistance, please contact Logitech and the MIDI cable support groups directly.

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
CnL
Logi Visitor
CnL

I encountered a similar issue, well not similar in your specific case, but the fix might be the same.

Basically, I had this Audio USB port analyser tool that stopped working when I installed QuickCam 9.5. While trying to see what was going on, I noticed that Logitech installs an extra filter driver to the media stack. The registry key for the media stack is here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The "LowerFilters" entry had a reference to both the tool... and this new component called "LVUSBSta", which I eventually found where part of the camera drivers. I removed it until I was done using my tool (it fixed the problem). Then I added "LVUSBSta" back. I don't know the implications of removing it (I didn't use my little cam at the time, I was working!), I wonder if the Audio Echo Cancellation might be effected?

Eitherway, you have to be extra careful if you want to play with these registry keys. The class filters are used for all MEDIA devices, so any flubs, and you wipe out all the devices you see under Device Manager's "Sound, Video & Game Controllers"! Backing up your system is highly recommended (set a restore point, and have your XP CD handy)
KachiWachi

Thanks for your input CnL!

* Thanks.

Logi Nu
peterkirn

There's a simple reason: the audio component of Logitech's webcam drivers manages to nuke any class-compliant MIDI (and audio, as well, I think) drivers. It's funny -- on the Mac, people are routinely accustomed to installing lots of plug-and-play, driverless MIDI and audio devices. So looking for the "manufacturer's driver" in this case is not really the point. I think the combination of Windows' handling of class-compliant drivers with ill-behaved driver developers (yes, Logitech, this means you) has caused many of the independent hardware vendors to develop their own drivers just to keep another driver from squashing them.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to work around this, I'm all ears.

Here's an example:

1. I connect a Novation ReMOTE SL MIDI keyboard to my machine. This installs the device as a USB Audio Device. To correctly label it as the SL, I can run Novation's own driver, which installs an .inf file that relabels the ports.

2. I install Logitech's current build of the QuickCam for Notebooks Pro. Webcam works fine. Novation keyboard no longer functions or appears as a port. Reinstalling the Novation driver doesn't work, so I ...

3. Uninstall the Logitech, reinstall the ReMOTE device, and ...

4. The circle of life continues.

What I can't sort out is why the QuickCam installs as the same USB Audio Driver in the first place. Any way you can hack the Registry to separate the two devices?
KachiWachi

Workaround?

Did you try disabling the camera microphone, AEC, etc...?

Did you try re-installing the camera microphone using the "standard" Windows driver?

Thanks.

* Thanks.

Logi Nu
peterkirn

I think I did reinstall using the standard driver; I elected not to install the QuickCam software if that's what you mean. Since I did that on my most recent install, I can't even turn AEC off. (AEC shouldn't be the problem, though.)

What's the procedure for using the "standard" Windows driver for the mic? (This may not help, since the whole problem is that Logitech hijacks the class-compliant audio driver slot in the first place.)