Logi Nu
dmzack

QuickCam 10.0 won't launch

Just ordered a QuickCam UltraVision for evaluation, and right off the bat the included software won't run.  Initially I was getting errors because the Visual C++ runtime files weren't installed (what kind of installer doesn't check for dependencies??) and installing the redistributable from MS solved that issue and got rid of the event log errors, but now when I try launching the software it doesn't do anything at all.  No error messages, no event log entries, just an hourglass for about a half second and then nothing.

Are there any other undocumented dependencies that need to be installed in order to get this software to run?  The camera works fine with our instant messaging clients so I know the drivers are ok, it's just that I can't do any configuration of the camera without the QuickCam software.  Any suggestions before I box this back up and return it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Dave
Logi Browser
Copywriter

Re: QuickCam 10.0 won't launch

[ Edited ]
Dave,

I share your frustration. I followed these troubleshooting steps without result:
I downloaded the software when the CD-ROM install did not complete. I disabled my virus checker, PC-cillen. I deleted all *.tmp and *.chk files. I removed the previous installed versions. I recompacted my registry (using registry mechanic), I am using XP Professional and SP 2 on a Dell machine.  As far as I can tell those are the steps for a clean boot. I am at a loss as what to do next.

I don't even get past stage 3 of the install.  I have an email into tech support but it did not generate a case number. Let's hope we get some help soon.

Christopher

Message Edited by Copywriter on 10-03-200602:25 PM

KachiWachi
Topics: 246
Kudos: 1,191
Solutions: 485

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum dmzack! :smileyhappy:

Known issues...no fix yet from Logitech on either of them. :smileysad:

Copywriter -

In order to get a case number, you should call Logitech directly. I don't think they work at that level by e-mail. :smileysad:

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Browser
Copywriter

Thanks for letting me know that the issue is known about. I subscribed to this thread, so hopefully the solution will appear, and that's how I'll hear about it.

Christopher
Logi Nu
dmzack

I followed a similar set of steps on my PC. The software appears to install ok, but won't run.

I think it's going to go back tomorrow. I need a solution that we can deploy globally, and don't want to waste time on a poorly developed and supported solution.

It's a shame, because the hardware side seemed pretty good. Hopefully Logitech can get their act together on the software side, but when version 10 of a product has issues like this it tells me that the company has some serious quality control problems in their software development division. That might be barely acceptable for home use, but corporate deployment? Not if I'm doing the eval...

I don't even remember the last time I used a product that just flat out wouldn't run out of the box.
KachiWachi

Logitech has to be able to reproduce the situation consistently in their lab for a "fix" to be developed.

Obviously this only happens on a "select" few machines, so Logitech will have a hard time of it. :smileysad:

The best thing you can do is to contact Logitech directly with your *complete* system information, so that they can get a handle on what is going on (software or PC hardware issue).

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Browser
Copywriter

Mine went back today after my spending eight hours trying to get it to work. Tech support said that unless I get an error message they can only think it is a confilct with another piece of software. It did load on another machine, and I do have a new computer on order from Dell. My advice to anyone contemplating buying the ultra,would be to download the software first and see if that works on your computer. If yes, then go ahead and order the camera.

I am making do with my 4000 and a studio condenser microphone.
KachiWachi

Technically, you can't do that, if you don't have a camera to plug in. :smileysad:

Thanks for your input though Copywriter.

* Thanks.

Logi Browser
Copywriter

The instructions, that come with the camera, want you to load the software and drivers before plugging in the camera. If the software will install (without conflicts with other software) then the camera should work. The camera looks good it's the software that is buggy.

Hope this is clear.
KachiWachi

The camera software and the driver package are two different items...even though they are installed together.

Did your camera have a problem being recognized (driver issue), or did you just have a problem running QuickCam (software)?

Since you were able to get things running on a separate machine, the trouble must lie in the initial machine...whatever that is.

* Thanks.