Logi Nu
DavidMcK

Quickcam under Windows 7 Beta

Hi! I've been playing around getting a Logitech Quickcam Orbit to work under Windows 7 32 bit, and I've had some success so I thought I'd share it.

On pluggin the camera in, a generic Windows Webcam driver is installed. So I installed the Logitech software, and when it asks you to plug the camera in, it fails to detect the new device procedure - because Windows has already installed some drivers!

Cancel that screen, and go find the webcam in Device Manager (under Imaging, I think). Right click on it, properties, Update Driver. I found the drivers were still at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Quickcam (again, it might not be quite that location, but somewhere similar. Maybe Local\Logitech or something) and that I could reinstall the camera. Now it was successfullly recognized as a Logitech device, rather than a generic webcam.

Finally, you might notice that at this point although the complete settings are available in the Logitech software, most are greyed out. Exit the quickcam software (make sure it's not in the system tray either), find it in the start menu, right click and go to Properties->Compatibility. Change the compatibility to Windows Vista, click OK then open the program again.

Everything works! I have noticed that it _is_ slightly prone to crashing but heh... it's a beta OS running in compatibility mode, after all! But all functionality is there, including RightLight, pan / zoom etc.

Hope this is useful for someone! I know that Logitech aren't supporting Windows 7 yet but this might help some out who've decided to download it already.

KachiWachi
Topics: 251
Kudos: 1,279
Solutions: 505

Re: Quickcam under Windows 7 Beta

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum DavidMcK! :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, Beta Operating Systems are not supported. :smileysad:

Please contact Logitech Support directly for further assistance with this issue.

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., RightNow® Technologies, Inc., or Salesforce.com, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently NOT providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums at this time.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
nVein

Nice post DavidMcK.  After running into similar problems under Windows 7 64-bit, your notes were just enough to keep me from giving up on the Logitech QuickCam Fusion drivers.  Similarly, I found the Logitech webcame driver package would not set the drivers correctly under the normal installation procedures. Instead, the drivers had to be updated manually after the installer finished.  Unfortunately, Windows 7 64-bit would also freeze on the Logitech Vid portion of the installation package. 

After trying this setup on 3 different systems, I finally found a very quick and easy workaround.  Instead of following the Logitech installation instructions, which state to wait to plug in the webcam when prompted by the driver installer...,

• Plug in the webcam first in order to let Windows 7 install its own driver.  (Once the Windows 7 driver is installed, you will see a balloon notification stating the hardware is ready for use.)
  • Install the Logitech webcam software.  (The installer will change the driver appropriately.)
  • DO NOT try to install the Logitech Vid portion of the installation package.  (Remove the check from this option of the installer package.) 

Again, hope this is useful for someone.

KachiWachi

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum nVein! :smileyhappy:

What is the 8xxxxx (or 860-xxxxxx) series number from the camera's identification tag (FAQ #3427), or preferably... the USB\VID ID?

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., RightNow® Technologies, Inc., or Salesforce.com, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently NOT providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums at this time.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
danq

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/435/5867&hub=1&cl=gb,en?osid=14

install the pro series for the quick cam. it worked for me. and i have a brand new windows 7 home edition 64 bit comp.

KachiWachi

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum danq! :smileyhappy:

Please post this question/comment to a New Message. (Reason: Thread Hijacking - Different camera and Operating System version)

Thanks.

(Ref: Help -> Posting Messages -> How do I post a message?)

* Thanks.