Logi Browser
pilotguy

USB camera "disconnects" randomly from USB controller...

Information...

Camera ID:

USB\VID_046D&PID_08C1&MI_01\6&235F0B91&1&0001

QUICK CAM Software:

REV. V10.5 32 Bit Build 1096B Downloaded from Logitech's website on 12-28-2006.

System:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

(All up to date as of 12-28-2006)

Computer:

INtel(R)
Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1.8 Ghz
512 MB of RAM

Intel USB CHip set. USb drivers are latest avaialble.
Mother board is an ASUS P4B533-E

Problem:
First of all, I know the camera works. It just won't stay connected to my desktop's USB controller. It will randomly disconnect and I'll get an alert that says "An Unrecognized USB device is installed" or something like t hat. If I unplug the USB plug from the USB port and plug it back in it'll work fine for about 3-5 minutes. Then "disconnect" and the device is no longer recognized.
Puts up a fine picture. Sound works fine. Just won't stay operative.

BTW. the camera works perfectly on my laptop. It's my Desktop that has the problem.

I  have three of these cameras and the all exhibit the same symptom. I've tried multiple different physical ports. I've disconnected all the other USB devices. Still same symptoms.

I'd very much appreciate some help troubleshooting this problem.
Thanks

PilotGuy.

KachiWachi
Topics: 251
Kudos: 1,293
Solutions: 505

Re: USB camera "disconnects" randomly from USB controller...

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum pilotguy! :smileyhappy:

Sounds like a USB problem to me.

Any other USB devices on the system?

"USB Power Properties" and "USB Error Checking" status don't make a difference?

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., RightNow® Technologies, Inc., or Salesforce.com, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing LIMITED "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums at this time.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Browser
pilotguy

In Device Manager/Universal Bus Controllers/USB Root Hubs, the only power control i could find is in the power management tab.
I unchecked the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"...

No change on the symptoms.

Are there other places for me to look for USB power controls?

thanks,
pilotguy
KachiWachi

Nope...that is the one.

Other USB devices?

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., RightNow® Technologies, Inc., or Salesforce.com, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing LIMITED "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums at this time.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Browser
pilotguy

Hmmm. I moved it off of the USB port that had a 6 disc USB controller... The kind you use for various flash disk drives...
That plus unchecking that power box seems to have fixed it.
I'll use it for a while and see if it has "reliability"
In the mean time, I'm going to buy a powered USB hub. I'm out of ports anyway and hopefully the powered hub will alleviate
any power issuse I have with all my USB devices...

Thanks for the help.

I'll post back in a week or two to verify results.

Pilotguy.
KachiWachi

Logitech does not recommend the use of a hub or "pass-through" device. The camera should plug directly into the PC.

Please see FAQ #535, and also reference FAQ #2194.

Sounds like you have found your answer.

Thanks for posting back with your status.

* Thanks.

Logi Browser
pilotguy

Well, It wasn't to be...
It worked and actually lasted longer but still disconnected from the USB controller after about 10 minutes...
I'm with you. I think it's a power problem. But now, if I can't use a powered hub, then I'm at a loss as to how to resolve the issue....
Any further suggestions... Is there a way to regulate or control the amount of power provided to a USB Port?

Pilotguy...

KachiWachi

Logitech doesn't "recommend" the use of a hub, but you can try one and see what happens.

It has, on occasion, fixed this kind of problem.

Thanks.

* Thanks.

Logi Browser
pilotguy

[ Edited ]
Well, I put in a D-Link powered USB hub and it certainly fixed the problem...
No disconnects. Reliable camera. Happy Camper...
But my Mother board is no slouch. I still can't believe that it can't support this camera.

So I did some poking around on my USB config screens and there's a parameter in the computer BIOS that's labled "USB Reference Voltage"...  Mine was set on medium. Just for ducks, I set it on high...

It had 3 settings:

Low
Medium
High
Maximum

I poked around on the web for this parameter and all I found was settings for various installations, but NO explanations as to what it was..

Could you elucidate?

Thanks,

PilotGuy.

Message Edited by pilotguy on 01-04-200708:21 PM

KachiWachi

I have never heard of this before.

You'll have to contact ASUS for more information here.

Thanks.

* Thanks.