Logi New
larryfargo

What happened? Software upgrade problem

My Webcame MP has been working just fine on my XP Pro system...today an upgrade offer came through and I took it. Now, everything smears...can't move my hand without it running slowly on motion. I went to a system reset but still no change what happend. Am so mad at myself at accepting the software upgrade....this is NOT an improvement!!
KachiWachi
Topics: 251
Kudos: 1,263
Solutions: 505

Re: What happened? Software upgrade problem

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum larryfargo!

What version of QuickCam were you running initially...and what was the "upgrade version" that installed?

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi New
larryfargo

Thanks for comeback...I believe 10....like a careless fool I went ahead and allowed the upgrade notice I recieved this morning to install and doing a system restore didn't bring it back...now I've tried removing...the Quickcam "driver" will not allow itself, though, to be removed. I've now deleted everything I can find Logitech and Quickcam....and am ready to reinstall. The version I had that was working - good motion, no smearing - was the upgrade AFTER the install from the packaged disc, about 8 months ago.  I shouldn't have installed the upgrade and now I'm trying to get back to the older verison. I downloaded the latest, installed, but still I'm getting the unbelieveable latency in image motion. This is very unlike my Quickcam MP. Is there a way to "go back" to an older version for XP Pro? I tried a system restore a couple of times. That doesn't seem to do it.  - Larry
Logi New
larryfargo

FIXED IT! Fortunately, I had "gc1040enu" on my hard drive so I uninstalled the new "gc1051enu" package and reloaded the previous version I was using successfully and NOW I'm back to the great performance I was getting. I should NOT have allowed Logitech to install the "latest upgrade" this morning. Took me all evening to figure this out, to get back to where I was.  I had smearing and audio out of synch at any size with the new and latest "upgrade" to Orbit MP software.

Why do software creators do this? Didn't they test this new package with XP Pro, Service Pack 2?  The new stuff is a gigantic step backward. It was acting like the Microsoft camera I tried last year before going to the Logitech..which I have loved. But then...the upgrade came this morning and I, like a dummy, followed Logitech's advice, trusted them, and it set me way back in performance. FORTUNATELY...I still had the gc1040 package on my HD from before.

Does anybody know what happened here? -  Larry
KachiWachi

You should not have had any issues.

Are you talking about camera performance in QuickCam, or in an IM?

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi New
larryfargo

Kachi  - not in an IM....just going straight into record mode on my desktop with the "Quick Capture" feature. Peformance using AIM with the QC1040enu software was fine, and so was Quick Cap recording, the latter with all file sizes, mostly 640 with both AIM conversations and with QCap recording.  Naturally, there's always a little latency or smearing on movement with IM's - depending on bandwidth, load, etc. Understand that. But my QuickCap on desktop has always been rock solid. Not so with the Microsoft cameras I tested prior to going Logitech. But after the 1051 "upgrade" this morning..my Orbit MP was acting worse than a Microsoft $29 camera.

I wrote the Logitech Q and A board and have an identifier number...so I hope to hear from them. You're right, Kachi, I didn't need this...but fortunately I had the previous version. Like I said, a system restore wouldn't fix it. Dumb problem...glad to be back to normal. Just sent a 340 email to a friend on the Cox system in Las Vegas and it came through fine....albeit 340 resolution, etc. Synch was good here and in his receiving end, as an email attachment.

Thanks for your comebacks and interest. Maybe others can avoid going through this by avoiding that latest "upgrade." Why do software writers do this to us? Logitech isn't the only one but thought they'd be different. Have always liked their innovation and quality. But this was a real surprise.

Larry
KachiWachi

It sounds to me like something to do with the camera settings...or it was just a bad "upgrade" install.

I'd need to see a video sample from each software package to determine anything more.

Thanks.

* Thanks.