KachiWachi
Topics: 246
Kudos: 1,191
Solutions: 485

Why your (older) Logitech camera *may* not be supported in Vista

[ Edited ]
There have been many questions raised about this topic recently, so I thought it fitting to make this special thread in response to them.

Please see this post, and the discussion following it, by Sr. Software Engineer geepers.

Thanks.

Excerpt -

"I think you and fellow customers should know the facts about why some older cameras have driver support, and why others do not (and may never). And it is not completely related to the expense, because as noted before, the drivers for Pro4000 and Orbit are basically the same for the rest of the cameras in the "PRO" driver folder, so the expense of adding these cameras is actually low -- they just need the testing.

And this "testing" is the real challenge. Here is why.

Any driver released by Logitech needs to be signed by Microsoft.

You might have installed another manufacturer's driver, and had to dismiss a "Driver Not Signed" or "Digital Signature not Found" warning when the driver is enumerated. Logitech doesn't do this, all our drivers are signed by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (a/k/a WHQL).

Under Vista 64-bit, the OS itself will not allow any non-signed drivers to even load! The only way around this "driver lock" is to load Vista 64 into a special diagnostic mode (called Test Mode). Additionally, to be Vista certified, Microsoft says all drivers need to run under both Vista 32 and Vista 64.

Now, to get this signature from Microsoft, drivers and hardware (note the bold highlight) must pass a stringent set of tests given by WHQL. The actual testing process takes hours per camera, and includes such things as putting the system on standby and waking it up many many times, connecting and reconnecting the device many many times, checking for malformed USB packets, testing the microphone, and lots of other techie nonsense.

Last year, in preparation for Vista, Microsoft updated these tests (now termed DTM).

The old hardware immediate ran into issues with the new tests, and did not pass. The exact same hardware passed the earlier test fine. But you can't use the earlier test with Vista, you must use the new test.

Engineers spent time tweaking drivers so that some old cameras where able to pass the tests and could get the signatures. For other cameras, an exemption had to filed and reviewed by WHQL. This is what took time for adding support for Orbit, and Pro4000. Unfortunately Microsoft has told all vendors that this exemption process will close completely after one year, so time is running out for these older devices."

"Given all this, adding Vista support for older cameras gets caught in a vicious Catch 22. The camera and drivers need to pass tests to be signed. Due to test changes, the old hardware can no longer pass the test, so an exemption has to be filed and reviewed.

For some cameras, we got through this relatively painlessly. For other cameras (such as Pro3000 and earlier), this is much more difficult."

-geepers

Edit - Updated geepers "title" information.

Message Edited by KachiWachi on 10-22-2007 01:18 PM

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
KachiWachi

Re: Why your (older) Logitech camera *may* not be supported in Vista

Here is the latest post by geepers on this subject -

Excerpt -

"I am sorry, and I understand your frustration. However, your camera is not supported for Microsoft Vista 64-bit, as the old legacy camera you acquired some time ago will not allow the necessary driver package to pass Vista's DTM tests -- no matter what changes are performed to the driver code.

It is unfortunate that the camera you purchased was designed before these Vista DTM tests where conceived, as the camera does pass Windows XP WHQL tests without problems."

"However, because you are running Vista 64-bit, Microsoft made sure to lock Vista64 with a kernel signature verification mechanism that insures that only devices which pass DTM can be installed. This is not a problem unique to Logitech and your camera. There are a wide variety of legacy devices that also will never be supported in Vista 64-bit."

"I would say that most experienced users of Vista 64-bit expect that they will have to upgrade to the latest hardware when they select this OS to upgrade to. Besides Vista64 being so new, it is locked down to prevent any vendor from distributing "unsigned drivers" (as many vendors used to do in XP) and most vendors won't spend the added cost to sign their files. For those vendors which do spend the cost to sign drivers (like Logitech, all our drivers are signed), there are HW incompatibilities with legacy hardware devices which can prevent this.

Please take comfort that if Logitech could have accurately predicted the future, or if we had any sway with the testing specification for Microsoft Vista DTM, we would have designed your old legacy camera with all these factors in mind.

Unfortunately, it looks like you will need to upgrade your camera at this time. Once again, sorry for the frustration."

-geepers
Sr. Software Engineer
QuickCam Install/Build/Configuration Team
Logitech Inc.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., or RightNow® Technologies, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums once 24 hours have passed.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
KachiWachi

Re: Why your (older) Logitech camera *may* not be supported in Vista

[ Edited ]
For a listing of cameras that are currently supported on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS, please see:

Webcam software and driver support for Windows (FAQ #3428)

Windows 7 support for my Logitech product (FAQ #13985)

Windows 8 support for Logitech webcams (FAQ #32436)

Thanks.

* Thanks.