Logi Nu
UnoriginalName

Win8 CP x64 and c920

OK, before I go any further, I am fully aware that Win8 is a PREVIEW and NOT a shipping OS. Now that that is out of the way...

I am running Win8 CP x64 and am using it as my sole desktop/OS (though I am dual-booting with Win7 Pro x64). So far, I haven't had any real issues with software installing or running on this preview OS.

I just bought a pair of c920's (one for me, one for the wifey, who is still rocking Win7 Pro x64), and went to install the software for it (I had to download it first as it didn't auto-install). However, it constantly returned an error message saying that this software does not work on this version of your OS. I tried using the compatibility wizard a number of times and it finally installed under compatibility mode for WinXP SP3, though there were several issues that kind of mucked-up the works (like several compatibility boxes in the taskbar, but no messages to be displayed).

Methinks that this is simply an issue with the software's version checking; I saw an issue just like this with an HP printer when going from Vista to Win7 when Win7 was still an RC- it took a simple, 1-line-change in a setup file and it worked.

So, any actual HELP would be appreciated. I really don't need to hear the same old crap about Win8 is not a shipping OS since MS has said that Win7/8 are the same under the hood.

ModeratorTeam

Re: Win8 CP x64 and c920

From our getting started FAQ:

Q. Another forum user posted a workaround/hack/tweak that enables older products to work with a non-supported operating system. Should I give this a try?

A. Logitech does not endorse or approve non-Logitech posted workarounds, and that Logitech does not advise trying said workarounds. Although a workaround may work with a limited number of system configurations, it may not work for all users and may cause instability or other technical issues.
Using any non-Logitech workaround or hack is at the individual user's own risk. Please see the “Disclaimers” section in the Terms of Use document for more information.

Please note that for the purposes of this discussion (and of this forum in general), non-supported means that if you install a driver on non-supported operating systems, Logitech will not be able to assist you in the event that your system becomes unstable or non-functional. 

Logi Nu
UnoriginalName

Yes thank you for comprehending my preamble. And I did see this post beforehand, but it seems like BS way out. Win8 is supposed to be the same as Win7 under the hood and what I am seeing is the software install fail simply due to what appears to be a version check in the installer.

Please stop trying to save us from ourselves; I build my own systems and know how to do backups and I know how to repair a botched OS.

Logi Nu
UnoriginalName

OK, I solved it myself. I would tell you all about it, but it would probably get the entire thread deleted, as Logitech doesn't support 'hacks', even though what we're talking about is getting the hardware to work in the first danged place! :smileyhappy: