Logi Nu
susger

communications_helper.exe

What is the program communications_helper.exe that is installed automatically and always runs in the background? Is it necessary? all help appreciated.
susger
KachiWachi
Topics: 251
Kudos: 1,293
Solutions: 505

Re: communications_helper.exe

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., RightNow® Technologies, Inc., or Salesforce.com, Inc.)
  Have you checked your Logitech Forums Private Messages today?  

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing LIMITED "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums at this time.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

New to Webcams? START HERE!

Logitech Webcam Software 2.x (a.k.a. QuickCam 13.x) - Issues and Solutions
Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
susger

KachiWachi wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks. You've provided the answer with the links.
KachiWachi

NP.

Thanks.

KachiWachi - Webcam Forum Guru (2002), Logi Legend (2007), Distinguished Logi Legend (2010), QuickCam® Team Forums (2007)
(I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc., Lithium™ Technologies, Inc., RightNow® Technologies, Inc., or Salesforce.com, Inc.)

If you are looking for official Logitech Customer / Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<

In order to help keep the forum content "fresh", please do not post a reply to any thread that is over six (6) months old.

* Please note that I am currently providing LIMITED "general" troubleshooting assistance in the public forums at this time.
* However, if I am interested in your issue, and for all "advanced" issues, I will be sending you a Private Message before then.
* Thanks.

* PS - If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" buttons, so that this information can benefit others.

Logitech Webcam Software 1.00.1280 / 1.10.1113 (a.k.a. QuickCam 12.x) - Issues and Solutions
QuickCam 11.0.0.1218 / 11.1.0.2030 / 11.5.0.1169 / 11.8.0.1065 / 11.9.0.1263 - Issues and Solutions

Is your problem one of these older, common, known, or repeat issues?     "Everything Macintosh"
How to make your Logitech camera work in an IM                     Are you looking for (older) software?
Why your older Logitech camera *may* not be supported on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and/or on a 64-bit OS
Logi Nu
Newbie81

Hi, i would be soo glad for some help for dummies! i have been reading all the threads on communications_helper as i have all the same problems, but not knowing anythign about computers, i want to know if:

1. Ending the process via the Task Manager will disable the process altogether (I am assuming not and that it will re-start on startup)

2. If i do disable the process will i still be able to use skype and my webcam and headset

3. How do I disable it?

Please help. feeling dumb.

KachiWachi

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum Newbie81! :smileyhappy:

Are you looking to permanently disable the Communications_Helper.exe process?

Thanks.

* Thanks.

Logi Nu
Newbie81

thanks!

um, i m not sure. will the webcam, microphone and skype still work without it?

if it will still work then yeah, cos its giving me heaps of grief!

KachiWachi

Have you read the aforementioned thread?

Thanks.

* Thanks.

Logi Nu
nadeenkid

[ Edited ]

"You ask if it's necessary. All help appreciated" I too do not like programs running in the background and programs not openly described at

installation time. Myself, I deleted the file "communications_helper.exe" rather than "turn of the process", have saved file in a safe but folder apart; and have had no problems with either Skype or my other main video-communication program. I rely on each program's "video/camera" settings options to fine tune the image-- brightness, frames/sec, exposure, contrast, saturation, etc. everything. So far, after one week, no problems with any of the Skype features or that of my other video-conferencing software when using them with others over the internet. I have no "communications_helper" process running, nor do I have its registries entries any longer (I cleaned them out). You might want to try that.

So, I find the commmunication_helper file unnecessary. 

I have a Logitech 9000 camera and run on XP Pro. 

(Warning Note: Deleting this .exe file is not a supported fix.  Anyone not familiar with how to remove this file are advised against doing so as it can cause more issues if done incorrectly or to the wrong files. Logitech is not responsible for any damages done by attempting this unsupported file removal.)

Message Edited by JSMO on 01-29-2009 01:02 PM
Message Edited by Pegasus on 01-29-2009 04:50 PM
KachiWachi

Welcome to the Logitech Community Webcam Forum nadeenkid! :smileyhappy:

nadeenkid sez -

Myself, I deleted the file "communications_helper.exe" rather than "turn of the process", have saved file in a safe but folder apart; and have had no problems with either Skype or my other main video-communication program.

Per FAQ #6797:

What is new in this release:

• Communication Helper process has been removed.

With reference to this issue, please try upgrading to QuickCam 11.9.0.1263.

Thanks.

* Thanks.