Logi Nu
bobandelaine

lswdebugout.txt file grows when camera unplugged

[ Edited ]

I was recently given a Logitech C510 as a gift and installed the software (from the download site so I would get the latest version).  I now note that the lwsdebugout.txt file (in the user's "temp" folder) continues to grow with error messages when the camera is unplugged.

I installed the LWS software on all three of my computers, so the file grows on each one of them.  Even if I were to keep the camera plugged into one of the computers, this file would still continue to grow on the other two computers.  Plugging in the camera stops the file from growing.

Normally, I keep the camera unplugged.

I checked the "Preferences" panel, and do not see an option relative to this behavior.

The file is being written by a Windows "process" using "CameraHelperShell.exe".  The file it writes grows at an approximate rate of 500 bytes per second with the following 3-line error message constinually being appended:

CDeviceInfoMap::GetPnPId() - failed  m_DeviceInfoMap.Lookup - device ID: : 0
     .\DeviceInfoMap.cpp
     Line: 406

Even if I stop Windows from starting this process at boot time (by running msconfig and "unchecking" this process), it's starts again when LWS starts and does not terminate when LWS terminates.  The "normal" behavior is for this process to start at Windows boot time (set somewhere during installation).

Is there anything I can do so this will not occur?

Bob Howard

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Cintech

Re: lswdebugout.txt file grows when camera unplugged

[ Edited ]

Hello bobandelaine,

You could try stopping LWS from running at start up and then you could start it manually when needed . Please follow the instructions outlined in the link provided to stop LWS from running on start up.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17629

Best Regards,

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Nu
bobandelaine

[ Edited ]

Thanks.  That made it a bit simpler to implement, but does not truly resolve the problem.

LWS no longer fires up at Windows startup time.  And the file is not being written ... at that time.

But if I start LWS and stop it again, the file continues to be written (assuming the camera is not plugged in).  This is because LWS doesn't "completely" terminate.

Using the Windows Task Manager, I see that when I stop LWS, "Launcher_Main.exe" terminates, but "LWS.exe" continues running ... not as an "application", but as a "process".  Using another tool I have (shows the process trees, services, applications and other stuff.), I see that "CameraHelperShell.exe" also continues to run ... under "LWS.exe".

And it's this program ("CameraHelperShell.exe") that is writing to the log.  The only way to stop this is to manually kill the process.  I note that there's nothing in the tray regarding LWS, and I see no LWS options relative to this behavior.

Is this possibly a flaw in the LWS software?.

Configuration:

LWS Version 2.30 Build 13.30.1396

Windows/XP SP3 (all available Microsoft updates applied)

[please note that this same problem occurs on my Windows Vista and Windows/7 laptops]

bob

Logi Nu
Hydroman54

I also have a Logitech camera and noticed this file growing.  Not only is this burning up disk space at an alarming rate, but the text file becomes heavily fragmented and appears to add a considerable amount of overhead to my disk maintenance time for defragmenting.

I am also switching the camera between computers, and do not have the camera plugged into the one where the lwsdebugout.txt file is growing at the 500 bytes per second.  I stopped the "CameraHelperShell.exe" process in order to stop the program from writing to the lwsdebugout.txt file, and then I deleted the lwsdebugout.txt file so that my defragmenting utility wouldn't be grinding away on it all night.

It appears to me that this is a programming error that needs to be addressed.  If a person is unaware that this is happening and doesn't take measure to stop it, the process could become a serious problem.  Is there a fix for this?

Logi Nu
mziangi

I also have the same problem. lwsdebugout.txt file keeps growing. I purchased and installed  Webcam C270 two days back and the file has grown to 5,395 KB and keeps on growing. I do not keep the camera plugged in to my laptop PC running XP SP3. I do not understand why CameraHelperShell.exe process is running. There should not be anything from Logitec software running until I specifically start the Webcam. This is a major BUG in Logitec software since it is consuming memory, CPU and Disk space. I want a quick fix for it. If not fixed soon I will return the Webcam. Killing a process manually is not a fix.

Logi Nu
MaviGozler

I am going to add my name to the list here of users with a LWSDebugOut.txt file that, when I deleted it, was 250 MB big.  I stopped the CameraHelperShell.exe process as well, which by the way, is considerably large at 11 MB in RAM compared to other processes.  A process that uses a big chunk of memory (in consideration of its purpose and function) as well as runs up a huge file with what appears to be output for debugging used by a developer is probably a version that is not to be used for production (the end user).

If it's not too much trouble for the developers group to fix this obvious bug, it would be nice if they can get on it.

Logi Nu
hokie

My LWSDebugOut.txct file grew to 1.3GB within a couple of weeks of not having the camera plugged in.

This problem should be addressed in a program update as soon as possible.

Logi Visitor
SvenVdV

suggestion, make the file "read only" using the windows file properties ...

It is not THE solution, but it helps the file from growing.

LOGITECH. PLEASE... Numerous times your software have these kind of pitfalls. I strongly remember the bug with the WEBCAM MICROPHONE DRIVER, messing up the audio properties dialog boxes to appear. Things like that ruin your reputation. You have good products, but do something about your software department! IT TOOK 2 YEARS TO SOLVE THIS BUG. I BETA TESTED... TRY TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM MORE QUICK PLEASE.

Logi Nu
littlepapa

I agree this is a problem that Logitech needs to address.  This file must be "self-propogating" from the core webcam program because even trying to unlock it and delete it using FileASSASSIN (MalwareBytes.org) still results in the file instantly re-appearing (and counting up the file size) until you stop this by making the file read-only. 

Even after stopping file size growth, It still poses problems by constantly trying to read/write from the drive when you view the system using File Monitor (Filemon).  This in turn causes further problems when running programs that cannot tolerate the system being prodded constantly (like Evidence Eliminator). 

FIX THIS PROBLEM LOGITECH, OR I WILL THROW YOUR WEBCAM IN THE TRASH AND COMPLETELY UNINSTALL THE DRIVERS.  IS FIXING THIS PROBLEM A LACK OF EXPERTISE, OR JUST A LACK OF EFFORT?  (I'm thinking the later). 

I have thrown away more expensive devices than this webcam in the past because of very similar driver issues where the driver never "shuts-up" and constantly keeps trying to read/write from the drive when viewed via Filemon (specifically a Hewlet Packard 2510 color printer/coppier).  DESIGN AND DEBUG YOUR DRIVERS LIKE PROFESSIONALS, a hard trait to come by these days.

Logi Nu
icare

My LWSDebugOut.txt also grows to 1.2GB+ which is way to much. Limit it to few MB or just write to windows event log into its own separate section like MS Office does it. There it would be possible to set it to a limit and overwrite.